Pole position Wanted: Ireland’s MotoGP stars of the future
HERE’S the chance to get your little one on the fast-track to MotoGP as the next Eugene Laverty or Jonathan Rea.
The FIM Mini GP Series provides a great structure for young riders and the crew at Team 109 are delighted to be involved.
The team is hoping that to sow the seeds of talent and ensure an Irish rider gets on the ladder in the series to move into the World Championship with the team in the future.
In order to get this done, two bikes will be run in the FIM Mini GP series under the banner Irish Talent Team powered by 109. Ex-British Supersport rider and proud Corkman Alan O’Connor will manage the experienced team, with the support of their loyal sponsors and promoter MCI.
The Irish Talent Team is seeking applications for its new 2022 rider development programme, a fantastic opportunity for lads and ladies between the ages of ten and 14 to join this programme for the 2022 season. The aim is to develop the riders and the focus will be on coaching young talent in all the key areas that will prepare the racer of the future for the next steps in their motorsport career.
With Alan and his team at the helm, they have an abundance of experience and knowledge to tap into and unlock the young riders’ potential, with the aim of having two riders compete in the upcoming 2022 FIM Mini GP Ireland Series, which takes place alongside the Masters series in Ireland, with a more than competitive package. The two overall leaders at the end of the Irish series will go on to race at traacks throughout Europe.
The team will have both riders' bikes perfectly prepared in their workshop before each event and transported to the circuit where they will have their pit box set up for the weekend. The only cost to the riders will be entry fees, tyres and fuel.
As with the Red Bull MotoGP Rookies Cup programme, the team’s riders can come from any discipline, be that Tarmac, Trials, Moto-X, Mini bike or any other.
What you, or the resident track hero in your house, need to do now is take a look at www.team109.ie or https://bit.ly/3tHxCbk where you’ll find the opportunity to fill in a form and let the team know a bit about yourself.
Hopefully it’ll be the start of something awesome. Just don’t forget us when, in a few short years, you’re spending the season somewhere warm and track-side in a million-euro motorhome…
- Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride: Watch out for Dapper Dans on two wheels this Sunday
- BikeFest is back at the Gleneagle in the Kingdom
- Nissan's new Ariya set to shake up the increasingly busy EV market
- iX marks the spot for BMW as they take electrification to the next level
- Mercedes' new version of the CLS is a dream to drive
- Should Luiz Diaz start the Champions League final? Liverpool legend gives his verdict
- Reality TV star Hughie Maughan reveals he won €10k on scratch card and plans to buy horse
- Tributes pour in for prominent farmer tragically killed in crash on M8 motorway
- Rory McIlroy is bullish about ‘great position’ despite slow Friday: ‘There’s a lot of golf to play’
- Pep Guardiola tells Manchester City stars to ‘just focus on the football game’