Dressed up to the nines
The updated model line-up for BMW Motorrad's hugely successful R nineT range has been revealed. Now the new R nineT models - R nineT, R nineT Pure, R nineT Scrambler and R nineT Urban G/S - get a significant refresh.
Around since 2013, the R nineT is a blend of classic motorbike and modern tech, all in a brilliantly engineered bike with buckets of custom options..
The original was quickly followed by the enduro-style R nineT Urban G/S, the R nineT Scrambler and the bare R nineT Pure.
Now the boxer engine across the entire range, old and new, comes with technical upgrades and visual fine-tuning. Peak power output is now 109hp at 7,250rpm, down from 110hp but delivered 500rpm sooner in the range. Maximum torque remains 116Nm at 6,000rpm.
Inside the cylinder heads there is a new turbulence system which gives a cleaner burn. A more full-bodied power and torque curve - particularly between 4,000rpm and 6, 000 rpm - promises more pulling power.
As seems to be the case with any updated BMW these days, the R nineT range comes with loads of technical goodies as standard, including ABS Pro with DBC (Dynamic Brake Control), a new suspension strut with travel-dependent damping (WAD) and 'Rain' and 'Road' riding modes.
ABS Pro works with Dynamic Brake Control for increased safety when braking even when banked over. LED lighting units and a USB charging socket add to the standard package.
Riding Modes Pro with the additional with 'Dyna' (R nineT and R nineT Pure) and 'Dirt' (R nineT Scrambler and R nineT Urban G/S) are available as options, as are DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) and engine drag torque control (MSR).
The (as always) extensive options list extends to the Comfort Package, comprising Riding Modes Pro, cruise control and heated grips. The traditional 'Option 719' package comes with quality customisation offerings, including various wheels, milled parts and even a rear conversion with short rear end and number plate holder behind the rear wheel, as well as a rear end in tracker style.
See www.bmw-motorrad.ie for model info and pricing.
- The 5th-gen Renault Clio gets the hybrid 'E-Tech' treatment
- Our man takes delivery of a new Volkswagen Crafter without leaving his house
- Honda has created one the coolest and cutest cars on the road today
- First Drive: Volkswagen's latest EV ticks all of the boxes
- REVIEW: Volvo deserves Swede success with their new Cross Country version of the V60
- Spurs become first English team to reach goal milestone as they beat Crystal Palace
- 'They worked their nuts off' - Ole Gunnar Solskjaer hails Man United players after derby win
- Leeds goalkeeper Illan Meslier has â€˜personality and characterâ€™ â€“ Marcelo Bielsa
- West Ham would not sell Declan Rice even for Â£100million â€“ David Moyes
- Kelechi Iheanacho buoyed by double act with Jamie Vardy and goalscoring form