How To Quick mid-week dinners: Smoked cod and watercress fishcakes
- 500g Rooster potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 350g cooked undyed smoked cod fillet
- 75g (25g+50g) butter
- 40g watercress or rocket leaves, trimmed
- 2 tbsp basil leaves, chopped
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 2 tbsp gluten-free flour, for dusting
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Place the potatoes into a large saucepan of salted water. Bring to the boil and cook for 20 minutes until tender. Drain the potatoes and mash until smooth.
- Meanwhile, break the cooked fish into flakes, discarding the skin and any bones, and place with the mashed potato.
- Melt 25g butter in a large non-stick pan over a medium-high heat. Add the watercress and stir for 20-30 seconds until wilted. Transfer into the bowl with the mashed potatoes. Add the basil leaves, lime zest and juice, and season with salt and pepper. Mix carefully, trying not to break up the fish too much. Cover with cling film and leave to cool for 3-5 minutes.
- Use lightly floured hands dusted in gluten-free flour to shape into 4-6 fishcakes.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over a medium heat and add the remaining 50g butter and olive oil. When the butter starts to foam, add the fishcakes and reduce the heat to low.
- Fry for 3-5 minutes on each side until golden, turning them carefully. Serve warm or at room temperature with extra leaves.