HOW TO Quick mid-week dinners: Macaroni & Cheese
- 250g gluten-free macaroni pasta or other pasta
- 125g mature white Cheddar, grated
- 125g mature red Cheddar, grated
- 25g butter
- 25g cornflour
- 300ml milk
- 300ml cream
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 onion, chopped
- 150g streaky bacon, chopped
- 45g Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Cook the macaroni in a saucepan of boiling salted water as per pack instructions. Drain and set aside. Combine the red and white Cheddars in a bowl.
- In a separate large saucepan, melt the butter over a medium heat and add the cornflour to form a roux. Stir using a wooden spoon and allow to cook for 30 seconds to bind.
- Add a little of the milk and cream at a time, stirring continuously until you achieve a thickened, smooth sauce.
- Remove the sauce from the hob and add in the mustard and 200g of the Cheddar mixture. Stir until the cheese is well combined.
- In the meantime, in a sauté pan, cook the onion and bacon over a medium heat for 4 -5 minutes until caramelised.
- Stir in the macaroni and cheese sauce and season with some salt and pepper. Transfer to a deep ovenproof dish.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Sprinkle with the remaining Cheddar cheese and Parmesan and place in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes until golden and bubbling. Serve immediately.