Recipe Orange Polenta Cake
- 175g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 225g (175g + 50g) caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 150g ground almonds
- 90g fine polenta or semolina
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 2 oranges, zest and juice
- 50g water
- Preheat the oven to 160C. Then grease and line the base of a 6in/15cm cake tin with parchment paper.
- Beat the butter and 175g sugar until creamy and pale. Then beat in the eggs one at a time. Fold in the almonds, polenta, baking powder and half of one orange's zest and juice.
- Pour the cake mix into the prepared tin and place in a preheated oven. Bake for 45-50 minutes until golden and firm in the middle.
- Meanwhile, prepare the syrup. In a small saucepan, place the remaining 50g caster sugar, water and the rest of the orange juice and zest. Thinly slice the second orange.
- Bring the syrup to the boil for 30 seconds to dissolve the sugar crystals. Add the slices of orange and immediately remove from the heat. Set aside to cool until needed.
- When the cake is baked and cooled, brush it with the cooled syrup and lay the confit orange slices over the cake.
- Store in an airtight container and serve the cake within 2-3 days to enjoy it at its freshest.