KEVIN'S KITCHEN Nine steps to a succulent Japanese katsu curry
INGREDIENTS (Serves 4):
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 50g plain flour
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 100g breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- For the curry sauce
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 2cm ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 tbsp mild curry powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 400ml coconut milk
- 1 tsp honey
- 200g basmati rice, boiled
- 1 cucumber, cut into ribbons
- 4 tbsp coriander leaves
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- First, make the curry sauce. Heat one tablespoon of rapeseed oil in a saucepan. SautÃ© the onion, garlic and carrots until soft and lightly caramelised. This should take about eight minutes.
- Add the ginger and cook for another 30 seconds. Remove from the heat, then stir in the curry powder and turmeric. Fold in the coconut milk and honey and season well.
- Cover and simmer over a low heat for 5-8 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix the flour with a tablespoon of water and the soy sauce in a large bowl to create a light coating batter. In a second bowl, beat the egg yolks. In a third bowl, place the breadcrumbs.
- Dip the chicken pieces in the flour mixture, then egg mixture and then in the breadcrumbs, turning until well coated.
- Preheat a deep fat fryer to 180C. Place the chicken in the fryer and fry for 4-6 minutes or until cooked through (the exact time will depend on the size of the chicken pieces).
- Place some boiled rice in serving bowls, add some curry sauce and top with the katsu chicken.
- Serve with some cucumber, coriander and lime wedges.
- This Japanese-style curry is full of flavour from the curry sauce and crunchy from the fried chicken. However, it's not as spicy as Indian or Thai curries.
- Haagen-Dazs announce new Irish whiskey flavoured ice-cream
- The off-grid Carlow castle that mixes luxury with a homely feel
- Heinz and Wowburger bring red tomato ketchup burger to restaurants
- Dublin cafÃ© goes viral for asking customers not to pay with 'soggy bra money' during heatwave
- Happy Pear twins David and Stephen Flynn know 'we're Marmite' as they turn 40
- Dublin teen (19) who kicked dog to death is jailed for six months
- Notorious gangster and John Gilligan associate John 'The Coach' Traynor dies in England
- Arrest warrant issued for air rage woman Sarah McGuire after failing to appear at court
- The Rocky Horror Show creator says â€˜nobodyâ€™ thought the show would become a hit
- Dublin councillor says 'zero-tolerance approach' is needed to tackle scrambler menace