Recipe Mouth-watering nutty carrot cake
- 140g butter, softened
- 150g caster sugar
- 250g carrots, grated
- 140g sultanas
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 200g gluten-free flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 20g ground almonds
- 50g mixed nuts, finely chopped
- For the icing
- 225g icing sugar
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- Preheat oven to 150C.Grease and line a 900g/2lb loaf tin or individual cake tin with baking parchment to make it easier to turn out the cake later on.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar until soft and creamy, then add in the grated carrot, sultanas and eggs. Combine until smooth.
- Sift the flour together with the ground almonds, spice and baking powder.
- Add the sieved flour and nuts to the bowl and mix well.
- Pour into the prepared loaf tin, then bake for 50-55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then remove from the tin and cool fully on a wire rack.
- To make the icing, beat the icing sugar with the orange zest and a little of orange juice at the time until thick and creamy. .
- When the cake is cool, spread the icing on top.