RECIPE Make sticky toffee pudding cupcakes with these easy eight steps
These delicious sticky toffee pudding cupcakes are the perfect Sunday treat that can be pulled together in a half hour.
This recipe makes 12-14 cupcakes.
- 150g pitted dates
- 150ml water
- 5g bread soda
- 100g butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 350g gluten-free plain flour
- ½ tsp xanthan gum (if the flour doesn’t contain any)
- 10g gluten-free baking powder
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp five spice
FOR THE TOFFEE SAUCE
- 220g salted butter
- 220g brown sugar
- 300ml double cream
- Preheat the oven to 160C. Then place the dates and water into a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Add the bread soda and allow to simmer for 3-5 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave to cool. Using a hand blender or food processor, blitz until a coarse, sticky consistency is achieved. Set aside to cool.
- In the meantime, in a bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and sieve in the flour, xanthan gum (if using) and baking powder. Continue to mix until smooth. Pour in the milk and add the vanilla essence and five spice. Add in the cooled date mixture and combine well.
- Pour the mixture into individual cupcake paper holders. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Before serving, drench the cupcakes in toffee sauce.
- Melt the salted butter in a large saucepan over a medium-low heat and then add in the brown sugar.
- Allow this mixture to come to the boil and cook for about 2-3 minutes, until the sugar has an intense caramel colour and flavour. Be careful not to burn the caramel!
- Pour in the double cream and whisk continuously. The mixture will clog a little but don’t panic.
- Allow the mixture to come to a boil and then reduce to a gentle simmer. Cook for 2-4 minutes until it has the consistency to coat the back of a spoon.
- Pour the delicious sauce over the sticky toffee puddings once they are removed from the oven. Serve and enjoy.