Grape Spy: Jean Smullen
Summer is nearly here and this year we are right on trend with two great white wines that are perfect for al fresco dining, now that the weather is getting warmer.
2020 Porcupine Ridge Sauvignon Blanc €12.00
With Sauvignon Blanc so much in demand and so hard to get, South Africa is the new starting point for some very good wines made from this sought-after grape.
The grapes comes from the beautiful Franschhoek valley in the Western Cape. South African Sauvignon Blanc has all the aromatics and acidity you’d expect from the grape, this is a well-made, reasonably priced version that is definitely worth a try. Available from independent off licences.
2020 Esporão Vinho Verde Esporao “Bico Amarelo” €13.00
Vinho Verde is located in the North of Portugal between the River Minho in the North and the River Duero in the South. Vinho Verde is by its nature a low alcohol wine.
Classic Vinho Verde is bone dry with crisp appley acidity. This is a version made from three grapes Loureiro and Alvarinho and Avesso. This is a very elegant wine with fantastic acidity which makes it perfect for summer drinking. Available from Dunnes Stores.
For details of wine events jeansmullen.com
- Deirdre Reynolds Opinion Deirdre Reynolds: Victoria Beckham's 'curve' ball is a fat lot of good
- Kim Kardashian ‘heartbroken, disgusted and furious’ following Texas shooting
- Westmeath woman awarded €16,400 after falling from defective chair in Supermacs
- Salvador Ramos: Texas gunman warned of school shooting on social media
- Dungannon road crash victim named as Co Antrim man Paul McLarnon (61)