Grape Spy: Jean Smullen
Tomorrow is Valentine’s Day — an evening to celebrate with cake and bubbles. We recommend this top quality Rosé Champagne and a fresh lively Prosecco, brand new to Ireland.
Moët & Chandon Rosé Impérial €63.00
The rise in its popularity of Rosé Champagne means these days its now more commonly drunk by men. Before 1997 only Vintage Champagne was Rosé. Moët like their Rosé to have lots of fruit and this certainly has, with lots of Rhubarb and Strawberry flavours. Try this with Carrot Cake. Available nationwide in independent off licences, such as O’Briens, Molloy’s Liquor Stores (Dublin), as well as in Dunnes Stores and SuperValu. You can also buy this as a mini/snipe (20cl bottle) for €25.00
Mionetto Spumante €22.00
Mionetta Prosecco is Italy’s favourite brand of Prosecco — a light fresh sparkling wine, low in alcohol and intensely aromatic. This one is a Spumante (fully sparkling) and it has lovely stone fruit aromas, as well as lovely peach/pear flavours. Great with lemon cheesecake! Available in independent off licences such as Spar & Eurospar; Fine Wines, Limerickl Redmond’s Ranalagh, Dublin 6 and The Old Stand Off Licence in Mullingar.
For wine events, see jeansmullen.com
- Omagh bombing victim's dad slams delay extraditing Real IRA chief to Lithuania
- Neighbour from hell jailed; New IRA state agent flees; and drug baron barred from gym
- Husband of hero teacher killed in Texas school shooting dies of heart attack
- LaLiga president continues to grumble over PSG's lavish Kylian Mbappe deal
- Everton manager Frank Lampard heaps further praise on Seamus Coleman