Grape Spy: Jean Smullen
This week I recommend a couple of food friendly wines to go with tacos and warming winter stew.
2020 Protos Verdejo DO Rueda €14.00
A lovely white wine from the Spanish region of Rueda made from the Verdejo grape. This is a fresh white wine with aromas of green apple with hints of herb. When tasted it has a zesty acidity with lovely stone fruit and some grapefruit flavours. The high level of acidity in this white means it’s a great match for a range of food styles. Why not try this with tacos made from white fish with salsa. Available in Jus de Vine, Portmarnock and.wineonline.ie
2018 Caveau & Millas AOP Costières de Nîmes €16.00
This organic red from Southern France is made from a blend of Syrah, Grenache, Mourvèdre and Cinsault. The Costières de Nîmes region produces wines that are similar in style to Chateauneuf du Pape from the Rhône. This is a rich and bold red wine; it is quite spicy with black cherry flavours and a ripe firm tannin on the finish. Enjoy this full-bodied red with a lamb stew slow cooked. Available from Mc Cambridges in Galway, Alain & Christine’s, Kenmare and on-line from thefrenchmarket.ie
- For wine events, see jeansmullen.com
- Conor McGregor and Dee Devlin look the part as they rock up to Elvis premiere after party
- Vogue Williams says having more than 4 kids is 'weird'
- GAA stars believed to be among around 40 men tricked by 'mega catfish'
- Video captures shocking Kerry assault as youth repeatedly kicked in head while on ground
- First case of monkeypox confirmed on the island of Ireland