Grape Spy: Jean Smullen
If you’re doing Dry January, I recommend a non-alcoholic pre-mix cocktail that tastes is dry in style and delish! For those getting through the darkest month and enjoying a glass or two of wine, there’s a Chile red for you to try.
AMALFI SPRITZ €10 (4 x 250ml can)
Lyre’s range of ready-to-drink non-alcoholic cocktails are ideal if you’re looking for a mid-January treat. Amalfi Spritz is a non-alcoholic spirit based cocktail with flavours of orange and peach, this is not a sweet drink and has a nice dry finish. Pour the Amalfi Spritz into a wine glass, add ice and a slice of orange and a couple of olives to add a savoury bite and serve with olive tapenade. The Lyre range of pre-mixes are available in Tesco.
2019 SANTA RITA MEDALLA REAL RESERVA CABERNET SAUVIGNON €16
This is the next level up from the 120 range from Santa Rita and is their mid-priced range. A Cabernet Sauvignon from the Maipo Valley in Chile, made by winemaker Oscar Salas. It is available in SuperValu, Tesco and Dunnes Stores. Maipo Valley is one of the best regions in Chile for red grapes. This Cabernet Sauvignon has lots of dark berry fruit and a lovely minty character. The tannin blends well with the jammy fruit flavours so this will be great with roast beef or steak. A lovely January wine treat.
For wine events, see jeansmullen.com
- Omagh bombing victim's dad slams delay extraditing Real IRA chief to Lithuania
- Neighbour from hell jailed; New IRA state agent flees; and drug baron barred from gym
- Husband of hero teacher killed in Texas school shooting dies of heart attack
- LaLiga president continues to grumble over PSG's lavish Kylian Mbappe deal
- Everton manager Frank Lampard heaps further praise on Seamus Coleman