HOW TO Easy weekend dinners: Beef cheeks with sesame mashed potato
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1.2kg beef cheeks
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp gluten-free flour
- 200ml red wine
- 800ml beef stock
- 3 tbsp fresh herbs
- 6 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 50ml cream
- 25g butter
- Sesame oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 150C. Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan and quickly brown off the meat in batches. Season each batch well. Transfer the meat to a casserole dish.
- In the sauté pan, add the onions and garlic, and sauté for 2 minutes to colour. Sprinkle the gluten-free flour and toss to coat the vegetables. Add the wine to the pan and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring to lift any colouration and flavour attached to the sauté pan. Transfer the liquid to the casserole with the beef. Cover the beef with the stock, herbs and a tight-fitting lid. Place in the oven and leave to cook for approximately 3-3½ hours.
- Don't forget to take the dish out of the oven every so often (perhaps every 50 minutes to 1 hour) and check that the liquid has not fully evaporated off. Add a little more beef stock if necessary.
- Meanwhile, place the potatoes in a pan of water and bring to the boil. Cook for 20-25 minutes until softened, then strain to remove excess water. Mash the potatoes and pour in the potatoes nice and creamy; add some
- Place meat and some sauce on to the plate over some mashed potato.