Recipe Baked zesty lemon bars
For the shortbread base
- 150g butter
- 50g brown sugar
- 220g gluten-free plain flour
- ½ tsp xanthan gum (if the flour doesn't contain any)
- ½ tsp gluten-free baking powder
- For the Lemon Topping
- 300g caster sugar
- 120ml fresh lemon, zest and juice
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 30g gluten-free plain flour
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a 20 x 20cm baking tin with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, beat the butter and sugar. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, xanthan gum (if using) and baking powder, and mix well. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir well until combined.
- Press your dough into the lined baking tin and spread out evenly. Place in the fridge for 15 minutes to set. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- While the base is cooking, make the topping. In a bowl, mix together the caster sugar, lemon juice and zest, eggs and flour until fully combined.
- Pour the lemon mixture over the baked biscuit.
- Place the tin back in the oven for a further 25-30 minutes or until the topping has set and coloured. The centre should no longer move when you shake the tin.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 2-3 hours in the fridge. Dust with icing sugar when fully cooled and then cut into squares.
- Store your lemon bars in the fridge in an airtight container. Serve them within 3-4 days.