Kevin's kitchen 5 step spiced orange polenta cake
This delicious sweet, moist, spiced orange polenta cake is gluten-free. Polenta is naturally gluten-free and used frequently in savoury dishes, but it works really well in sweet stuff too!
The sweetened syrup adds a lovely citric orange flavour that keeps the cake moist, and the sliced confit orange slices add to the decoration and flavour too. Serve with some lightly whipped cream or mascarpone cheese. If you store it in an airtight tin, it will keep for up to a week.
Spiced Orange Polenta Cake
- 175g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 225g (175g+50g) caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 150g ground almonds
- 90g fine polenta or semolina
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 2 tsp mixed spices
- 2 oranges
- 50g water
- Preheat the oven to 160C. Grease and line the base of a 15cm cake tin with parchment paper. Beat the butter and 175g sugar until creamy and pale, then beat in the eggs, one at a time. Fold in the almond, polenta, baking powder, mixed spices, and half of an orange juice and zest.
- Pour the cake mix into the prepared tin and place in a preheated oven. Bake for 45-50 minutes until golden and firm in the middle. Meanwhile, prepare the syrup. Place in a small saucepan the remaining 50g caster sugar, water and the rest of the orange juice and zest. Slice the second orange thinly.
- Bring the syrup to the boil for 30 seconds to dissolve the sugar crystals. Add the slices of orange and immediately remove from the heat. Set aside to cool until needed.
- When the cake is baked and cooled, brush with the cooled syrup and lay the confit orange slices over the cake.
- Store in an airtight container and serve within two or three days, when it's at its freshest.