Glow Val the way
Legendary make-up artist to the stars Val Garland tells us her top tips to look good. By Denise Smith
She’s best known as the unconventional and brilliant host of British reality television competition Glow Up (Maura Higgins helms the Irish format), which celebrates inspiring young makeup artists (MUAs) rising through the ranks. She has painted the faces of Kate Moss and Lady Gaga, is an acting contributing beauty editor to British Vogue and in May 2017, L’Oréal Paris named her its Global Makeup Director,
Experimental, passionate and an all-round industry legend, with over 30 years-experience in the world of beauty, Val is considered as one of the most talented make-up artists of our generation.
So naturally Magazine+ downed all beauty tools and blocked off our schedule when we spoke with the acclaimed make-up guru. Delving into her beauty bag and beyond, we discovered her must-have products, top beauty hacks, and why Irish women skip to their own beauty beat .
The Bristol born star is on a whistle stop tour of Dublin when she beams into our zoom call.
“The Irish definitely love makeup. It’s all about your own perfected beat and I love that. Every time I visit Ireland I’m always obsessed with the amazing architecture, the people, the culture and the food,” she says.
Having finessed the faces of some of Hollywood’s leading A-listers, we took note when the celebrated makeup artist unloaded her ultimate beauty hacks.
“Keep your top beauty skin care arsenals in the fridge for a cool skin tingle, it’s so refreshing in the morning,” enthuses the social media star. For makeup on the go, try using a lipstick on the eyes, cheek and lips, it’s a life saver.”
“I love hairspray as a quick fix brow setter, especially when you are travelling and need to pack light. Don’t be afraid to go for a bigger sized brush, it gets the job done quicker, just make sure the bristles are not too dense. Invest in good makeup brushes and take care of them and they will last you a lifetime. And don’t forget to sometimes stand back from the mirror. Sometimes when you are too focused and zoomed in on one area you forget how the rest of your makeup looks.”
A regular when it comes to creating catwalk looks in Paris, London and Milan, Val is also the go-to artist for Hollywood stars such as Helen Mirren and Julianne Moore. Despite her A-list clientele, she isn’t afraid to shout about her love of pharmacy products. The one thing she can’t live without?
“Mascara, mascara, mascara. I cannot live without L’Oréal Paris Paradise mascara, it’s the best mascara and it’s so affordable. I love that you can find it everywhere from your local chemist to your supermarket.”
With skincare meets make-up looking to be the biggest trend of 2022 Val says: “It’s all about the new gen skin, it’s meta-licious, beyond real dewy skin with soft bounces of peach on the cheeks.”
- Val Garland is Global Make-up Director of L’Oreal Paris.
- Shocking images reveal how nurse was mutilated after 'bargain deal' tummy tuck in Turkey
- Actress and comic Judi Love is adding ‘style queen’ to her CV with new range for women of all sizes
- Irish ecopreneur Ben Breslin isn’t sweating the small stuff after launching his own deodorant
- In the Style Dock: Olivia Palermo
- #nofilter by Denise Smith
- Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp wins the League Managers’ Association award
- Niall Horan 'humbled' by fan's mother in hilarious TikTok clip
- Brave garda assaulted and doused in petrol 'may never heal' from trauma
- Maura Higgins explores Paris on 'fairytale' trip with mystery man
- Jealous husband jailed; Love/Hate star dies; and man left with life-changing injuries