Love or Money? Dear Maura: I'm a successful businesswoman but men can’t cope with my wealth
"Everything goes great for a few weeks, maybe even a month, and then it all starts to unravel because they feel intimidated by my bank account"
Solve your life dilemmas with expert advice from Maura O’Neill
I’m a successful businesswoman who hasn’t yet met a man who is comfortable with what I earn. Everything goes great for a few weeks, maybe even a month, and then it all starts to unravel because they feel intimidated by my bank account.
I like to treat people I care about to nice dinners and weekends away. But none of the men I’ve been with can cope with these kinds of gestures.
There was one guy who was seven years younger than me and he had no problem, but that was because he was just having fun. And that’s the issue, because when I try to coax a relationship forward to something serious, that’s when these men just can’t cope.
One of them said that it was damaging his confidence to be with someone who has money. I’m 36 and I’m not going to compromise myself for love.
But I wish men would see me separate from my money. That side becomes so dominant it overshadows any parts of my personality that I think is attractive. I’ll keep looking because I’ve no other option. Are there any confident men out there?
Answer: There are confident men out there, you just haven’t met any of them yet.
I’m so happy to hear that you are going to keep searching. The romantic part of you won’t let go of the dream of being in love and being loved back for the person you are.
That is the energy that keeps you focused on your journey and ultimately you will be successful. In the meantime, have fun, go out with your friends and enjoy life.
Love can happen when you least expect it to. You need a man who will nurture you and be proud of your success.
Email your problems to
Dr Angela Brokmann firstname.lastname@example.org
Maura O’Neill email@example.com
All pictures are posed by models
- Dear Angela: Fiancée wants me to get rid of old sexy pics of my first girlfriend
- Dear Maura: Should I leave my wife for ex?
- Dear Angela: My boyfriend broke up with me over one night of boring sex
- Dear Angela: We sleep together every night but my girlfriend masturbates non-stop
- Dear Maura: I fear anxiety without my dad
- Irish man arrested in London accused of stealing high-end cars in Dublin and Kildare areas
- Video captures shocking moment Brinks van transporting money catches fire on the N11
- Shocking video shows girl (15) attacked and beaten by middle-aged woman in Dublin
- Rebekah Vardy claims she was made ‘scapegoat’ at Euro 2016 ‘Wagatha Christie’ trial reveals
- Drunken Irish driver jailed for least 15 years after crashing into car full of schoolgirls in US