'viable but historic' Video captures dramatic moment army blows up grenade found in Dublin house
Footage shows a huge explosion as the 'viable device' is blown up
A new video shows the dramatic moment when the Army's Bomb Disposal Squad blows up a viable grenade that had been found in the same house where a man’s badly decomposed body was later discovered.
Footage shows a huge explosion as the device, which had earlier been removed from a house in south Dublin, is blown up in a field.
The drama unfolded on Wednesday after officers from Dun Laoghaire Garda Station were alerted by council workers, who had been clearing out the derelict council house on the Sallynoggin Road, at around 9.30am.
After observing the grenade, the army was alerted and other footage shows the bomb disposal team being given a Garda escort as motorbike officers seal off surrounding streets.
An examination of the bomb determined that it was “viable but historic” and probably dated from the Irish War of Independence over a hundred years ago or from a similar era.
Army experts removed the grenade and carried out a controlled explosion on the device at a nearby location that was also captured on camera.
Shortly after this, the council workers went back into the property to carry out their work where they were confronted with a horrific scene when they found the decomposed body of a man.
Gardai were again alerted and came back to the property at around 12.25pm.
Sources say that the council workers were dispatched to the property after the local authority had no interaction with the tenant of the house for over a year.
“The plan was for the workers to do a clean-up of the house which was in very bad condition,” a source explained.
“The tenant was a man who was known in the area as being someone best described as a hoarder who kept very much to himself and the property was in a terrible state with rubbish everywhere,” the source said.
Gardaí believe that while he has not been formally identified that he was the tenant of the house.
His aged has not yet been determined but sources say he was most likely aged over 60.
“Gardai will need to confirm this by the use of DNA as his body was badly decomposed,” a senior source said.
“It is believed that he may have been dead for up to a year but that has yet to be fully determined.
“Gardaí will now try to track down his next of kin which may be problematic as despite the fact that he had been deceased for many months, no-one has made a missing person’s report,” the source added.
It remains unclear where in the house, the man’s body was discovered.
Gardaí in Dun Laoghaire say they are investigating all of the circumstances but it's not being treated as suspicious.
The body was removed from the scene to the Dublin City Mortuary, where a post-mortem took place, the results of which are not being released for operational reasons.
A file is now being prepared for the coroner's court.
- Video captures shocking moment Brinks van transporting money catches fire on the N11
- Shocking video shows girl (15) attacked and beaten by middle-aged woman in Dublin
- Drunken Irish driver jailed for least 15 years after crashing into car full of schoolgirls in US
- Man pleads guilty to public sex act in M&S toilet
- Former chief of Daniel Kinahan's MTK Global to be awarded top boxing honour
- What time, channel, team news and all you need to know about Man City v Aston Villa
- Jurgen Klopp with a warning to Man City as Premier League title race reaches conclusion
- Tennis plunged into civil war as ranking points are stripped from Wimbledon over Russia ban
- Fernandinho ‘really proud’ of achievements as he prepares for City swansong
- No hangover next season if Arsenal miss out on Champions League – Mikel Arteta