| 16.8°C Dublin

Strangle fears Mum warns of dangers of cable ties after her son was choked in horror accident

Denise was terrified when she saw Riley lying in his bed with a cable tie that “was already closed really tight around his neck"

Close

Riley's injuries

Riley's injuries

Riley's injuries

An Offaly woman is warning parents about the dangers of cable ties after her son accidentally got one stuck around his neck and was hospitalised.

Denise Kelly said her “heart literally stopped beating” when she found her son Riley lying in his bed with a cable tie around his neck.

“It was just a normal Sunday. I called the kids in for dinner and Riley just said I’m getting something in the room, he obviously had a cable tie at this stage which I didn’t realise,” Denise told Midlands 103.

She explained that she then heard Riley calling out for her.

“He was calling me from his room, but he was calling me in such a way I knew something wasn’t right.

“His voice was low, calling ‘Mammy, Mammy,’ so I knew something had happened to him.”

Denise was terrified when she saw Riley lying in his bed with a cable tie that “was already closed really tight around his neck,” which all happened “literally in less than a minute.”

“I was just trying to calmly call for his dad, Paddy, to come in, not to worry Riley, but he started saying it was sore and I realised I couldn't even get a nail scissors in, it was already so tight,” she continued.

“I just started shouting for Paddy, he came running because he knew there was something wrong.

Riley’s parents brought him and his sister to their grandfather's house, where Paddy and his brother then tried to remove the cable tie to no avail.

Close

While Riley never lost consciousness, Denise said that “his face had all swollen out and gone purple, and the blood vessels were bursting everywhere.”

“Paddy ran and got pliers, and he cut the tail of the cable tie as far up he could, he was able to yank it off then, thank God it came off.”

The four-year-old was then rushed to Mullingar hospital, where he was kept in overnight and needed x-rays in his neck to check for internal damage.”

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

Denise later wrote a Facebook post about the experience to warn others about the dangers of cable ties, which has garnered almost 5,000 shares.

“I debated whether or not to put it up on Facebook... but then I thought, if it just gets one person to put them up high and saves one child, I have to do it.

“I’ve had a lot of private messages from people thanking me because they had cable ties left out in reach and they had a curious child as well, and I also received messages from people that had been in the same situation,” she said.


Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Top Videos





Privacy