| 16.1°C Dublin

doherty inquest 'Gardai willing to engage' with NI inquest into death of man found bound, gagged and shot near Derry

Close

The Real IRA claimed responsibility for the murder of Kieran Doherty

The Real IRA claimed responsibility for the murder of Kieran Doherty

The Real IRA claimed responsibility for the murder of Kieran Doherty

A preliminary inquest hearing into the death of a Derry man who was found gagged, bound and shot in the head by the side of the road has heard Gardai are willing to engage with UK authorities.

The murder of Kieran Doherty, who was found on the Brae Head Road on the outskirts of Derry on February 2, 2010, was later claimed by the Real IRA.

The terror group said Doherty had been one of their members.

During the hearing counsel for the coroner, Ian Skelt QC, said the Gardai were now prepared to engage fully with the inquest, indicating there had only been previously limited correspondence with the police in the Republic of Ireland.

A representative for the Doherty family spoke of their frustrations surrounding delays to the inquest, the first hearing of which was held in 2012.

Counsel for the Secretary of State said that once a final batch of documents were made available from the Secretary of State’s office there would have to be a “public interest immunity exercise” in order to undertake redactions.

The Coroner, Brian Sherrard, told the family that they may not be “fully aware” of progress being made in the case but that there had been “ongoing activity”.

A review date to check on progress with the case was set for December 15, 2021.

A date of November 7, 2022 was set for the inquest to begin, which was agreed by all parties.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy