| 16.7°C Dublin

Latest figures Coronavirus Ireland: 14 deaths and 455 new cases confirmed as more countries added to quarantine list

It was announced last night that Belgium, France and Italy along with the US and Canada are to be added to the State’s mandatory hotel quarantine list.

Close

Dr Ronan Glynn, Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health.

Dr Ronan Glynn, Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health.

Dr Ronan Glynn, Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health.

There have been 14 further deaths of people with Covid-19 and 455 new cases of the virus confirmed by the National Public Health Emergency Team today.

According to the Department of Health, three deaths occurred in April, one in March, six died in February and four occurred in January.

This brings the Covid-19 death toll to 4,783 while the total number of confirmed cases in Ireland now stands at 240,643.*

Four previously confirmed cases were denotified, this is reflected in the total figure.

The median age of those who died was 72.5 years and the ages of the deceased range from 55 to 90.

Of the cases notified today, 212 were diagnosed in men and 236 in women

A total of 308 of the new cases are in Dublin, 68 in Donegal, 49 in Kildare, 35 in Meath, 30 in Offaly and the remaining 193 cases are spread across 21 other counties.

As of 8am today, 208 Covid-19 patients are hospitalised, 52 of whom are in ICU. There were 11 additional hospitalisations in the past 24 hours.

As of April 7 2021, a total of 1,018,264 doses of Covid-19 vaccine have been administered in Ireland with 716,636 people having received their first dose and 301,628 people have received their second dose.

The latest figures on falling numbers of coronavirus patients being treated in hospital has been welcomed by health chiefs.

HSE chief executive Paul Reid said the figures show the situation is possibly on “a good trend.”

“Good start to the weekend as Covid-19 hospital numbers are down to 208 & 51 in ICU. We could be on a good trend with the early benefits of the vaccines reducing the sickness levels for the most vulnerable.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

“The light is shining a little brighter for now.”

Taoiseach Micheal Martin also defended a decision this week to add 16 new countries to the mandatory hotel quarantine list.

He said the Government had been advised that the change provided more protection against variants of coronavirus.

“I think, in the first instance, no one wants these type of measures and we know we have been in a lockdown situation since Christmas because of the terrible wave at that particular time and the variant, the B117, has been a key factor in terms of the situation over the last while.”

The US and Canada as well as a number of EU countries including France, Belgium and Italy, are among 16 countries have been added to the mandatory hotel quarantine.

Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly has said the decision was made “following public health advice relating to variants of concern with Covid-19”.

“These variants pose a significant risk to our fight against this disease and our vaccination programme,” he added.

The Cabinet has also agreed to remove Albania, Israel and Saint Lucia from the mandatory quarantine list.

The Government plans to double the hotel capacity to deal with hotel quarantining from 654 hotel rooms currently to more than 1,100 rooms.

New members will also be added to the expert group that advises the Government on travel issues relating to Covid-19.

The Expert Advisory Group on Travel is to be expanded to include specialists in the logistics of hotel quarantining, laws relating to international travel and foreign relations.

Ruth Andrews, chief executive of the Incoming Tour Operators Association, described the expansion of mandatory hotel quarantine as “very disappointing”.

Speaking on RTÉ radio, she said that it was of “huge concern in terms of the reputational damage this will do to our core tourism markets which include north America and continental Europe”.

She said while the “the abundance of caution” was understandable from a public health consideration, there was “no exit strategy that we can communicate to customers as to when we can welcome them back into our country”.

Five new walk-in Covid-19 test centres were opened today, three in Dublin and one each in Limerick and Waterford.

The centres test asymptomatic people who wish to get tested as part of the effort to identify the wider spread of Covid-19 in the community.

The locations include Cumann Naomh Peregrine in Mulhuddart, Dublin; the Waterford Institute of Technology Campus; Ballyfermot Sports Campus in Dublin 10; Crumlin GAA clubhouse, Dublin 12 and St Joseph’s Health Campus in Mulgrave Street, Limerick.

Another test centre already opened at Coláiste Eoin in Finglas, Dublin will continue to operate until 7pm Sunday.

These temporary Covid testing centres are for local people over the age of 16, with no symptoms of the virus, who have not tested positive for the virus in the last six months.

Around 25,000 people attended 11 similar centres over the past two weeks, with 635 testing positive.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

Independent.ie


Top Videos





Privacy