| 4.7°C Dublin

'd**k breath' Conor McGregor rages after critics call him out for slamming Government's Covid plan

"Now do me a favour since you do absolutely f**k all else – f**k off with your ‘commentary' "

Close

Conor McGregor

Conor McGregor

Conor McGregor

Conor McGregor has lashed out at those who criticised to a series of tweets he sent out this morning slamming the Irish Government over their handling of the Covid crisis, by calling them “d*ck breath”. 

The UFC star has apparently deleted the tweets in which he said he was "ashamed" of the Government.

He also described Taoiseach Micheal Martin’s confirmation of new measures to be taken in a bid to slow the spread of the disease as “hypocritical”.

“For [Tánaiste of Ireland] Leo [Varadkar] to come out today on foreign soil, and directly blame the non-vaccinated, is the most divisive comment I’ve seen yet," he stated earlier today.

"It is neither the vaccinated, nor non vaccinated, nor any Irish citizen for that matter, that is responsible for this unpreparedness. It is government!

“Ireland and its people, with its high vaccination rate, after enduring the longest lockdown in the free world, is not to blame for the undersupply of our healthcare system.

"Those in government are! Almost three years to bolster this for our people, and nothing.

"Ireland will rise!

“We are almost three years into this. We have came together time and time again! Gone above and beyond what has been asked of us! Yet all we have gotten back is hypocritical address after hypocritical address! The audacity! I am ashamed of my nations government at this time.

"There is just no backing from me here anymore. We will rise! Tonight's address read like an advert to me. When Ireland stands. The world will know."

McGregor deleted the tweets but not before other Twitter users took screen grabs of them and posted them online.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

“I see Conor McGregor deleted his few tweets that were critical of the Irish government last night,” one person tweeted alongside images of the previous tweets. “I’m guessing Ireland isn’t going to ‘rise’.”

This prompted an angry response from McGregor who retorted: “Hay (sic) d**k breath, you must be new here. I will always say what I need to say, it gets reported/spread, then I remove from my page. Its done and out.

“I do not like to keep negativity on my channels. Ever. You do zero to help anything or anyone in any situation. So shut up.”

In another tweet he adds: “My point stands. I ashamed of those in government! Leo comment, disgraceful. I’m worried for our neglected hospitals and for our people. It is an abomination what is happening! It hurts me beyond belief. If you think I enjoy saying these things and want to keep them, I do not.

Close

McGregor's conversation with a Twitter user

McGregor's conversation with a Twitter user

McGregor's conversation with a Twitter user

“Now do me a favour since you do absolutely f**k all else – f**k off with your ‘commentary’.”

The same Twitter user had told The Notorious: “You’ve had tremendous success, but you’re not the only one entitled to an opinion or worried about the present situation. I couldn’t care less about the insults you throw at me. Nothing I said was untrue.”

McGregor previously supported lockdown measures, saying he was "scared for his family" when he sent out a heartfelt plea to stay at home and save lives at the start of the pandemic.

In a video, which was shared in March 2020 after Ireland was plunged further into lockdown, McGregor said: "We have now entered a more substantial lockdown and I am pleased to see it.

"To the Irish public, we must abide by the legislation put forth tonight by our leaders. No further than two kilometres from home, no unessential travel and full closure of non-essential business.

"Now more than ever we must abide by this and I pray for the health and safety of our country that we do. The fate of our lives and the lives of our loved ones depends on it."

But, he later admitted that he no longer felt that way about the situation.

The Notorious said: "This was early 2020 when people were 'collapsing in the streets' I was scared for my family.

"I urged everyone to sit tight for a few weeks to see where we land. My opinion on this situation now is night and day to then.

"I actually feel I was lied to originally. As were we all."

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy