'Incredibly tough' Ashley Cain and Safiyya Vorajee announce split following daughter’s tragic death
Their daughter Azaylia was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukaemia at just 8 weeks old
Ashley Cain and Safiyya Vorajee have announced their split just weeks before the anniversary of their daughter’s tragic death.
The couple lost their eight-month-old daughter Azaylia on April 25th 2021 following a short and devastating battle with acute myeloid leukaemia.
In a statement on social media, former footballer Ashley (31) said the pair split “a few months ago.”
“After a devastating and heart-breaking year, Safiyya and I decided to separate a few months ago,” the announcement began.
“This was an incredibly tough decision which we needed to keep to ourselves for some time to give us the opportunity to figure out our own journey privately.”
“The past few months have demonstrated that we remain the closest of friends, spending time together everyday and that we will love, care and support each other forever.”
“We are bonded by our powerful journey together, by the eternal love we have for our daughter and our passionate commitment to her foundation.”
On Mother’s day on Sunday, Ashley paid tribute to his ex-girlfriend.
“Four incredible mothers in their own right who I’d like to celebrate in abundance for everything they’ve given to me and this world,” he captioned the picture of his grandmother, godmother and mother posing with Safiyya.
“They are strong, they are loving, they are caring and they always give 100pc to the people who need them. It’s safe to say, I wouldn’t be who I am today without these women and I will love and appreciate them forever.”
Azaylia was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukaemia at just eight weeks and had tumours on her lungs, stomach and kidneys.
Following several rounds of chemotherapy and a bone marrow transplant she passed away.
Before her death, parents Ashley and Safiyya set up a GoFundMe fundraiser in a bid to get her pioneering treatment in Singapore that is unavailable in the UK.
The young girl's heartbreaking story captured hearts across the world as kind hearted peopled donated over £1.6million to help her.
Her family then used the money to launch The Azaylia Foundation to help families in similar situations.
- 'GPO Girl' says she has no memory of pretending to be teen victim of sex assault
- Gardaí release final man arrested in probe into alleged League of Ireland match-fixing
- Cartel WAG caught with €100k in drugs cash is partner of Kinahan trafficker
- Great-grandmother (86) left without clothes or even hearing aids after house fire
- Conor McGregor wears daring purple satin jacket to Cannes Film Festival bash
- Amy Broadhurst and Lisa O’Rourke – Irish boxing’s golden girls of Istanbul
- Footage emerges of Patrick Vieria in a confrontation with an Everton fan
- Sean McGoldrick Opinion The complete idiot’s guide to the race for Sam Maguire as favourites emerges
- Rory McIlroy gives his verdict after sparkling start at PGA Championship
- Tiger Woods’ not happy with cameraman as he limps through PGA Championship