turned away Massive delays and long queues affect UCD vaccine centre
Due to demand the HSE has increased the number of walk-in vaccination centres to 33, while also extending operating hours
Hundreds of people were turned away from the UCD booster centre after arriving to receive their vaccine injection today.
Long queues and delays on the university campus led to a large number of people being told they could not receive the jab - forcing the HSE to post on Twitter that they would not be accepting any more walk-ins.
The UCD Gerard Manly Building vaccination centre was due to open its doors at 9am, but due to the large number of people outside it opened before 8am.
The centre is administering booster vaccines to those aged between 50 and 69 and healthcare workers.
There were 18 walk-in vaccination centres open across the country today, with many experiencing long queues, including City Hall in Cork and CityWest in Dublin.
Earlier, HSE chief executive Paul Reid said that those who were turned away at UCD were instructed to attend other centres in the area where queues were shorter.
He added that vaccination centres have been resourced “extremely well” over the past number of weeks, saying: ”The vast majority of our sites have been coping very well with walk-ins.”
Due to demand the HSE has increased the number of walk-in vaccination centres to 33, while also extending the centres’ operating hours.
Earlier Tánaiste Leo Varadkar tweeted that the plan is to triple vaccinate another 500,000 people by the new year saying: “The third dose programme has helped to reduce hospitalisations but still very high.
"We plan to triple vaccinate another 500k by Christmas/ New Year. Will maximise your immunity against Delta and Omicron.”
- Man (20) charged with murder of Christopher Hall (65) in his Dublin home
- Gardaí hunt two men suspected of homophobic attack on couple in Dublin
- Notorious burglary gang used hammers to smash TVs and toilet as they ransacked garda’s home
- Liverpool keep quadruple dream alive with FA Cup penalty shootout win over Chelsea
- Alisson Becker eyes up a slice of history as his save sets up FA Cup final glory for Liverpool
- What time, channel, team news and all you need to know about Man City v Aston Villa
- Jurgen Klopp with a warning to Man City as Premier League title race reaches conclusion
- Tennis plunged into civil war as ranking points are stripped from Wimbledon over Russia ban
- Fernandinho ‘really proud’ of achievements as he prepares for City swansong
- No hangover next season if Arsenal miss out on Champions League – Mikel Arteta