| 13.2°C Dublin

Covid latest Coronavirus Ireland: 9 deaths and 525 new cases as AstraZeneca vaccine resumes across Ireland

The median age is 34 years old

Close

A member of the swab team working at the Covid-19 test centre at DkIT last year. Photo: Aidan Dullaghan / Newspics

A member of the swab team working at the Covid-19 test centre at DkIT last year. Photo: Aidan Dullaghan / Newspics

A member of the swab team working at the Covid-19 test centre at DkIT last year. Photo: Aidan Dullaghan / Newspics

Another nine coronavirus-related deaths and 525 new cases have been confirmed by the Department of health this evening.

There have now been 4,585 Covid-19-related deaths and 229,831 cases confirmed in Ireland to date.

Seven deaths occurred in March, and 2 deaths occurred in February.

The median age of those who died was 76 years and the age range was 64 – 95 years.

Of the cases reported to the Health Protection Surveillance Centre:

  • 255 are men and 265 are women
  • 68pc are under 45 years of age
  • The median age is 34 years old
  • 266 cases were in Dublin, 33 in Meath, 29 in Wexford, 25 in Offaly, 24 in Donegal, and the remaining 148 cases are spread across 19 other counties.

This comes as use of the AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine has resumed today in some vaccination centres across Ireland.

The vaccine, which had been temporarily suspended while under investigation by the European Medical Agency, is now being used again today in acute vaccination centres.

Beaumont Hospital is one of those centres administering the AstraZeneca vaccine today following recommendations from the National Immunisation Advisory Committee.

John Donohue, a patient from Artane in Dublin, was one of the first to receive his vaccine at around 8:30am this morning at the Beaumont Hospital vaccination centre.

In a statement released today, the hospital said that over this weekend and next week, 3,500 AstraZeneca vaccinations are scheduled for vulnerable patients and healthcare workers “in line with Niac prioritisation recommendations”.

The Pfizer BioNTech vaccination programme at Beaumont Hospital is also continuing in line with Niac recommendations.

Speaking on RTÉ Radio One today, HSE chief Paul Reid said that the 30,000 people who had their second dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine temporarily suspended should get notification to receive it in the coming days.

“We’re getting people in as quickly as we can,” he said. “It would be reasonable numbers throughout the day, but it will scale up throughout the week.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

“As of literally 8:30 this morning, vaccinations are taking place all across the country, four hospitals have started already today, which is Beaumont, Connolly, Cavan and Kerry, and more hospitals continue tomorrow.”

Mr Reid also wished to reassure the public that the EMA has said the AstraZeneca vaccine is safe.

“I think it’s only right that we’d be fair and clear, there’s not a choice in vaccination, all vaccines have proven to be safe,” he added. “Overall, it’s not a choice, all vaccinations are proven effective.”

In some larger vaccination centres, such as the Helix, the AstraZeneca vaccine is not set to be administered today.

According to a HSE spokesperson, those getting their vaccinations today in the Helix are all over 70s receiving a second dose of their Pfizer vaccine.

Current Niac recommendations say that the AstraZeneca vaccine can be used for those aged 70 years and older. At the start of February, it had previously only been recommended for those aged 65 and older.

However, scientists from the World Health Organisation said in February that the vaccine could be given to all adults above the age of 18 “without an upper age limit”.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

Online Editors


Privacy