| 2.6°C Dublin

Downright shocking Two men jailed for attempted manslaughter in Holland after vicious assault on Irishman

The judge considered the case so serious that he decided on a higher sentence

Close

The Nieuwstad in Groningen

The Nieuwstad in Groningen

The Nieuwstad in Groningen

Two men have been jailed for attempted manslaughter in the Netherlands after a vicious assault on an Irishman.

Both men, aged 29 and 36, from Groningen, have been sentenced to 30 months in prison for what was described in local reports as “an extremely violent fight” in the Nieuwstad in the Dutch city.

In the attack that was aimed at "kicking the light out of the victim's eyes”, according to prosecutors, the two kicked and punched the 24-year-old even "when the victim was on the ground,” locally media reports.

While bystanders tried to pull the two Groningers away, the duo kept hitting and kicking the Irishman.

The public prosecutor had previously demanded a prison sentence of 24 months for attempted manslaughter with six months suspended.

The prosecutor took into account that the victim was left with “only” bruises from the incident, however, the judge considered the case so serious that he decided on a higher sentence.

It was earlier heard how the Irishman was talking to a woman when he was attacked by both men who punched and kicked him in the June 27 incident.

The images which were shown at the men’s earlier hearing were described by the public prosecutor as “downright shocking”.

“The altercation turned into physical violence,” local media reports state. “The camera images showed that the 36-year-old suspect was the first to throw a punch.”

The fight lasted for a number of minutes before the Stadjers (as local inhabitants are referred to) ran away before returning to kick the man on the ground again.

Bystanders tried to pull the two off the victim and were then pushed themselves.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

"I regret this and am deeply ashamed," the youngest suspect said at the earlier hearing.

Both have previous criminal records and have been in society “in a positive way for quite some time”, the court heard, however, the prosecutor called the violence “disproportionate”.

“It happened on the public road and in front of many others,” the prosecutor said.

While the Irishman’s injuries included many bruises and swollen eyes, “that does not alter the fact that this could have turned out worse," said the prosecutor.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Top Videos





Privacy