it should be you Heartless thief jailed after she told OAP he hadn't won lotto so she could rob his ticket
UK Lotto operator Camelot were quick to act when they discovered something wasn't right
A heartless thief that falsely told an OAP that he didn’t win the lottery so that she could steal his winning ticket has been jailed.
81-year-old Frank Gowland brought his Euromillions ticket to a shop in Leeds to be checked, shopkeeper Narendra Gill told him it was not a winner, before swiping the ticket for herself.
The 52-year-old was caught by Camelot, which runs the lottery, when they heard her try to check out the ticket on the phone while serving customers at her GT News shop.
Gill initially said the ticket was a gift but after admitting theft and fraud she was jailed for 2 years and four months at Leeds Crown Court on Friday.
Prosecutor Dafydd Enoch told her she had been “unbelievably cruel”.
“People who work in these places need to hear the message that you cannot abuse your position when it comes to dealing with millions of pounds.”
“Trust is so important,” he added.
The ticket, which had five winning numbers and one Lucky Star, was worth a whopping £130,000.
Camelot contacted the police who checked CCTV footage and saw Mr Gowland getting into a car with his 77-year-old wife Sue.
The father-of-two eventually received his winnings in November last year.
He spent his money on clearing his debts, a brand new car and walk-in shower for his wife, who has health problems.
Speaking to The Sun after Gill was jailed, Mr Gowland said: “The whole thing has been quite a shock.”
“I had no clue I’d won until I got this phone call. I couldn’t hear what the PC was saying so I asked my stepson to deal with it,” he said.
“He said to the officer, ‘You must be joking, this is a scam’. Anyway, it wasn’t and I had won.
“The police knew everything. They even knew we bought toilet roll on the day. They told me the woman phoned Camelot, 15 minutes after I left, claiming to have a winning ticket.
“But they smelt a rat. She was lying through her teeth. It’s unbelievable really. I might never have known.”
- Episode 109 - The brutal murder of Emer O'Loughlin in a mobile home in Galway
- Drunken Irish driver jailed for least 15 years after crashing into car full of schoolgirls in US
- 'GPO Girl' says she has no memory of pretending to be teen victim of sex assault
- Clever driver steals her Land Rover back from thieves using GPS tracker
- Episode 108 - How the Prison Services are controlling Ireland's most notorious criminals
- Man (43) found with five fake driving licences in his name given probation
- Convicted murderer at 'low ebb' told garda he was worse than the 'Russians' and to ‘f**k off’
- Woman who slapped bouncer in 'split-second reaction' at club told cops 'There's real crime out there'
- Motorist who drove uninsured due to 'genuine threats to his life' jailed for four months
- Families face paying up to €600 more for Spanish holiday as flight and hotel costs soar