| 0.5°C Dublin

'Disappointed' Family of Irishman Jason Corbett 'distraught' after decision to grant killers retrial

"We can only put our faith in God to guide us through the torment of a second trial."

Close

Jason Corbett

Jason Corbett

Jason Corbett

The Irish family of a murdered father of two said they have placed their faith in God and will now work to help US prosecutors convict his killers for a second time.

Tom (71) and Molly (37) Martens face being released from prison on bail after North Carolina Supreme Court ordered that they be granted a new trial over a conviction for the second degree murder of Limerick businessman Jason Corbett (39) in August 2015.

The NC Supreme Court said rulings at the original murder trial had been prejudicial to the father and daughter as well as their ability to argue self defence.

A retrial is not expected in North Carolina before 2022.

Mr Corbett's sister and brother-in-law, Tracey Corbett Lynch and David Lynch, vowed to see justice done for a second time.

Close

Molly Martens with Jason, who was beaten to
death

Molly Martens with Jason, who was beaten to death

Molly Martens with Jason, who was beaten to death

The couple were appointed legal guardians to Mr Corbett's two children, Jack and Sarah, who were left orphaned by their father's death.

Their mother, Margaret 'Mags', died from a severe asthma attack in November 2006.

Both had spearheaded a justice campaign for Mr Corbett since his killing in August 2015.

“We are so disappointed and distraught that the Supreme Court of North Carolina has decided to grant a retrial to Tom and Molly Martens who admitted killing our beloved Jason - a father, a brother, a son and a
loyal friend - who is dearly missed by all who knew and loved him," Tracey said.

"Neither of the convicted defendants has ever expressed remorse for Jason’s killing. They put his orphaned children, then aged eight and 10, and Jason’s parents, siblings and friends through the horrific ordeal of the first trial, all the while waging a vicious and unrelenting smear campaign in the media and in the courtroom."

"The jury unanimously found them guilty of second-degree murder, concurring with the detectives and EMT workers who found the crime scene to be wholly inconsistent with the defence claims concocted by Tom Martens, a former FBI agent, and his daughter, Molly, who drugged Jason prior to the attack."

Both admitted the prospect of a second trial in the US is deeply upsetting.

"We can only put our faith in God to guide us through the torment of a
second trial."

"We place our trust in the Davidson County Sheriff’s Department and in
the District Attorney for North Carolina both of whom recognised from
the outset that Jason was the victim of a cold and calculated murder,
designed to give Molly custody of Jason’s children, and the financial
benefit of an insurance policy."

"Despite our disappointment at this decision, by a 4-3 majority, to grant the Martens a retrial, we retain our faith in the US Criminal Justice system and our confidence that a jury will once again find the Martens guilty of this heinous crime."

"Our priority is to continue providing love, care, support and protection to Jason’s two wonderful children whom we are blessed to
have as part of our family."

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

Online Editors


Top Videos





Privacy