| 0.7°C Dublin

Brutal Axe victim still wanted in UK as three men jailed for 'Wild West' gun attack 

James Mongan (31), with links to Cottenham in the Cambridgeshire area, remains wanted over the incident, it was heard in court.

Close

James Mongan outside Midlands Regional Hospital, Tullamore.

James Mongan outside Midlands Regional Hospital, Tullamore.

James Mongan outside Midlands Regional Hospital, Tullamore.

AN IRISH man injured in a horror axe attack is still wanted in connection with a UK shooting after three men were jailed this week for their part in the gun attack.

Last week three members of the Mongan family were sentenced at Ipswich Crown Court for the shotgun attack last April which left three teenagers injured.

James Mongan (31), with links to Cottenham in the Cambridgeshire area, remains wanted over the incident, it was heard in court.

In October, he was the victim of a savage axe attack at a Tesco shopping centre in Tullamore, Co Offaly, which left him needing hospital treatment.

He quickly posted a video online claiming he had not been seriously injured and later told the Sunday World he was "100 per cent" and stood up from his wheelchair when approached.

Close

James Mongan attacked by axe-wielding thugs in shop

James Mongan attacked by axe-wielding thugs in shop

James Mongan attacked by axe-wielding thugs in shop

The Tullamore assault is not believed to be linked to the shooting at Red Lodge in Suffolk, which was described as being like a scene from "a Wild West movie."

Bernard Mongan (35), David Mongan (26) with addresses in Cottenham, and Jim Mongan (31) of Corbins Lane, South Harrow, all admitted violent disorder.

Close

David Mongan

David Mongan

David Mongan

They pleaded guilty on the basis that they knew one of the group was carrying a gun but didn't expect it be used.

They were each jailed for 24 months and banned from Red Lodge and from contacting the victims for seven years.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

Close

Bernard Mongan

Bernard Mongan

Bernard Mongan

James Mongan, it was heard, was still wanted in connection with the incident, while a fifth man - Thomas Mongan (23) of Gregory Road, Southall - had the case against him dropped.

Two vehicles with around eight men drove up to the scene of the attack at Red Lodge on Easter Sunday with doors open and two guns pointing out of the windows, the court heard.

Shots were fired as one of the men in the cars shouted: "This is my yard now" and threatened to come back and kill the residents if they didn't leave.

Close

Jim Mongan

Jim Mongan

Jim Mongan

Thousands of pounds worth of damage was caused to caravans and vehicles at the site by axes and machetes.

A prosecuting lawyer said the scene was "more like something out of a Wild West movie or a scene from a Sam Peckinpah film than rural Suffolk."

An 18-year old youth suffered six pellet wounds to the face, neck, arms and torso, and a 16-year old, who described "running for his life" and hiding in a ditch during the incident, suffered a leg injury and a pellet wound above his lip.

A pregnant teenage girl was also hurt as a result of falling while attempting to run away to safety after being threatened by a man armed with a knife who said he was going to kill her.

A number of arrests were made near the village of Cottenham in Cambridgeshire after the incident which was caught on video at the time.

A man can be heard complaining the police had been given information, remarking: "That's a nice carry on... it was obviously a tip-off. I've never seen the like of it in my life. Dirty f***in' scummy b*****ds."

The shooting victims said they had later been threatened by men in balaclavas who told them they would be shot if they didn't withdraw their statements to police, it was heard in court.

In a statement read to the court, a member of the family targeted in the incident said: "Nothing like this has ever happened to my family and it has turned our lives upside down."

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Top Videos





Privacy