| 6.8°C Dublin

no assault Authorities deny claims dad who killed Arthur Labinjo-Hughes was attacked in prison

Reports claimed he had been beaten up and left in a critical condition at the undisclosed prison where he is serving his sentence

Close

Thomas Hughes. (West Midlands Police/PA)

Thomas Hughes. (West Midlands Police/PA)

Thomas Hughes. (West Midlands Police/PA)

Claims that child killer Thomas Hughes was attacked in prison after he was jailed over the death of his son Arthur Labinjo-Hughes have been dismissed by authorities.

Rumours had circulated online that Hughes (29), who had just started his 21 year prison term for manslaughter, had been “badly injured” when he was brutally attacked over the weekend.

Close

Arthur, in happier times, on a visit to McDonald’s (Family/West Midlands Police)

Arthur, in happier times, on a visit to McDonald’s (Family/West Midlands Police)

Arthur, in happier times, on a visit to McDonald’s (Family/West Midlands Police)

Reports claimed he had been beaten up and left in a critical condition at the undisclosed prison where he is serving his sentence but the Ministry of Justice (MOJ) has denied the rumours, stating there was “no suggestion” that he had been hurt.

A spokeswoman for the MOJ said: "The governor of the prison has been contacted. It seems to be a rumour. There is no suggestion there has been an assault."

Both Hughes and his ex-girlfriend Emma Tustin (32) were jailed for the death of little Arthur after torturing the youngster.

Tustin was caged for life with a minimum term of 29 years after being convicted of his murder and four counts of child cruelty.

Peter Halcrow, Arthur’s maternal grandfather, has since said warnings issued by the little boy’s other grandparents were ignored

He told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “They’re decent people and they were very concerned. And they issued warnings that were ignored, shall we say.”

As for the couple responsible for his death, Mr Halcrow said they had committed a “heinous crime” by killing a “defenceless, innocent boy."

Mr Halcrow told the broadcaster: “I wouldn’t give them the time of day and I wouldn’t want them to see the light of day ever again.”

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

Arthur was left with an unsurvivable brain injury while in the sole care of “evil” Tustin.

She was convicted of murder by assaulting defenceless Arthur in the hallway of her Cranmore Road home in Solihull, on June 16 2020.

Arthur, whose body was covered in 130 bruises, died in hospital the next day.

Arthur was isolated, poisoned with salt and starved in his final months before twisted Tustin’s fatal attack where she banged his head repeatedly against a hard surface.

A judge even slammed "cruel" step-mum Tustin after it was revealed she tried to kill herself to avoid facing justice.

The case has sparked an outpouring of grief and outrage across the nation, and the couples “lenient” sentences are set to be referred to the Attorney General.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has demanded a review of the sentences "as a matter of urgency."

Downing Street said Mr Johnson would consider any requests from Arthur's family for a personal meeting.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Top Videos





Privacy