| 1.3°C Dublin

Family reacts Murdered Jason Corbett's daughter slams decision to grant retrial to Molly and Tom Martens

The impassioned tweet came a day after Tom and and Molly Martens won a full retrial over their conviction for the murder of the Irish businessman

Close

Molly Martens with Jason, who was beaten to
death

Molly Martens with Jason, who was beaten to death

Molly Martens with Jason, who was beaten to death

The teenage daughter of murdered Irishman Jason Corbett has broken her silence over the decision of the North Caroline Supreme Court to award Molly Martens and her father a full retrial.

Writing on Twitter, Sarah Corbett Lynch blasted Martens and the decision saying: “You took my dad’s life, you destroyed mine, you coached me to lie and told the world it was the truth.

“How can people in power not see this?

“I was eight and now you get to break down my whole life again.”

The impassioned tweet came a day after Tom and and Molly Martens won a full retrial over their conviction for the murder of Irish businessman Jason Corbett (39).

On Friday, the North Carolina Supreme Court ratified a Court of Appeal decision that the father and daughter should have a new trial as it was deemed their ability to argue self defence at their 2017 trial had been unfairly hindered.

In a statement, Mr Corbett’s Limerick-based family said they were devastated by the shock North Carolina ruling.

“We are so disappointed and distraught that the Supreme Court of North Carolina has decided to grant a retrial to Tom and Molly Martens who admitted killing our beloved Jason - a father, a brother, a son and a loyal friend - who is dearly missed by all who knew and loved him,” his sister Tracey said.

Close

Jason Corbett

Jason Corbett

Jason Corbett

“Neither of the convicted defendants has ever expressed remorse for Jason’s killing.

“They put his orphaned children, then aged 8 and 10, and Jason’s parents, siblings and friends through the horrific ordeal of the first trial, all the while waging a vicious and unrelenting smear campaign in the media and in the courtroom.

“We can only put our faith in God to guide us through the torment of a second trial,” the statement continued.

“We place our trust in the Davidson County Sheriff’s Department and in the District Attorney for North Carolina both of whom recognised from the outset that Jason was the victim of a cold and calculated murder, designed to give Molly custody of Jason’s children, and the financial benefit of an insurance policy.

“Despite our disappointment at this decision, by a 4-3 majority, to grant the Martens a retrial, we retain our faith in the US Criminal Justice system and our confidence that a jury will once again find the Martens guilty of this heinous crime.”

“Our priority is to continue providing love, care, support and protection to Jason’s two wonderful children whom we are blessed to have as part of our family.”

Both Tom and Molly Martens have been in North Carolina prisons since their conviction for second degree murder almost four years ago.

Mr Martens (70) is a retired FBI agent while his daughter, Molly (37), married Mr Corbett in June 2011 after travelling to Ireland to work as a nanny for the Irish widower’s two children.

Their trial heard the Irish businessman was beaten to death as he slept with a metal baseball bat and a concrete paving brick.

An attempt had been made to drug him, he was beaten even after he was dead and the trial heard it was alleged the father and daughter even delayed calling emergency services just to ensure Mr Corbett was dead when paramedics arrived.

Mr Corbett’s family believe he was killed to prevent him bringing his two children back to Ireland.

It is expected that the Martens’ defence legal teams will move immediately to secure a release on bail from prison of both the father and daughter.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

Online Editors


Privacy