| 2.4°C Dublin

Thuggish attack UVF timed hijacking and arson attack on bus to coincide with DUP's protocol deadline

Nichola Mallon said it is understood the men 'muttered something about the protocol' as they held the bus driver at gunpoint

Close

The scene in Newtownards, Co. Down, where police are investigating a hijacking and arson attack on a bus

The scene in Newtownards, Co. Down, where police are investigating a hijacking and arson attack on a bus

The scene in Newtownards, Co. Down, where police are investigating a hijacking and arson attack on a bus

The hijacking of a bus in Co Down has been linked to loyalist opposition to the Northern Ireland Protocol and was carried out by members of the UVF.

The double-decker bus was hijacked by two masked and armed men and set on fire in Newtownards early yesterday in the Abbot Drive area.

The Sunday World can reveal there is speculation the attack was timed to coincide with a deadline previously set by the DUP to resolve issues around the protocol and Irish Sea border.

Infrastructure minister Nichola Mallon said it is understood the men "muttered something about the protocol" as they held the bus driver at gunpoint.

SDLP MP Claire Hanna said she believed it was "extremists exploiting the mess of their own creation".

"This was a thuggish attack by thugs, and no doubt seriously traumatic for the bus driver who was doing an honest day’s work, something the perpetrators have probably never done in their lives," she said.

"This was a cynical photo opportunity designed to feed a narrative that Northern Ireland is at boiling point over the protocol, when the reality is that most people don’t love it but accept that protection is necessary against the hard Brexit a minority have been chasing for the last five years.

"Most people want to see business be able to run as smoothly as possible and are completely fed up of extremists exploiting the mess of their own creation." she added.

DUP leader Sir Jeffrey Donaldson condemned the attack.

In September, he threatened to collapse Stormont if demands over the NI Protocol were not met.

The party has not yet withdrawn ministers from the Executive, insisting progress is being made in efforts to dismantle the contentious Irish Sea border.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

But Sir Jeffrey said that "anyone who believes for one moment that burning buses has any impact whatsoever in terms of our campaign to remove the Irish Sea border really isn't living in the real world. These paramilitary elements are only harming their own community," he said.

Asked for his response to the suggestion the attackers were marking the deadline he had previously set he said: "There's absolutely no justification whatsoever and I'm not going to seek in any way to explain why people go out onto the streets and do what they did this morning.

"There's no explanation, no timescale, no policy, that justifies doing that. It's wrong and it should stop."

He also said he is willing to hold back on his threat to collapse Stormont to allow the ongoing UK and EU negotiations to continue.

Challenged about why he was not following through with his threat to withdraw his Executive ministers, he insisted the UK government was making progress in efforts to address the issues created by the protocol.

"It would be churlish in the face of that progress to now move precipitously in relation to what I have warned about if we don't get the outcome that we need. Now, I'm prepared to give a little more time for those negotiations to reach a conclusion and that conclusion has to mean agreement on the removal of the Irish Sea border." he claimed.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Top Videos





Privacy