Crooks caught  | 

Two criminals who escaped Loughan House open prison arrested in Cork

The latest escapes bring to three the number of inmates who have absconded from Loughan House in the last two weeks.
Loughan House open prison in Co Cavan

Loughan House open prison in Co Cavan

Patrick O'Connell and Ken Foy

Two inmates who absconded from Loughan House in Cavan, less than two weeks after a double-murder suspect escaped, have been apprehended in Cork.

Stephen Haugh from Mullingar, who was jailed for drug possession, and Steven Coughlan from Cork, who was there for various offences including car theft, are understood to have only been moved to the open prison on Friday.

Cavan gardai confirmed: “In the early hours of this morning, gardai in Cavan were alerted to an incident where two prisoners, aged 23 and 20, had absconded from an open prison in Co. Cavan.

“A van in the area was subsequently stolen.

“Some hours later, both men were arrested in Co. Cork and are currently detained at Gurranabraher Garda station under section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act 1984.

“Investigations are ongoing into the incident.”

The latest escapes bring to three the number of inmates who have absconded from Loughan House in the last two weeks.

John Mangan

John Mangan

On Monday, October 4, double murder suspect John Mangan fled the ­prison after being caught with a burner phone linked to death threats against an innocent Dublin family.

The Sunday World revealed last week how Mangan – who was previously named in court as being involved in the murders of Martin ‘Marlo’ Hyland and innocent plumber ­Anthony Campbell – had used the burner phone to threaten the family: “I’ll burn your rat family out.”

Mangan, who was attempting to extort €12,000 from the family over a ‘drug debt’ they say their son does not owe, also threatened the young man’s father: “You answer ur f**kin phone or I swear I’ll leave here and head straight for you.”

Prison bosses had placed Mangan in the open prison after assessing him as being of low risk of absconding ahead of his scheduled release from prison in January of 2024.

The 53-year-old was serving the final four years of a 14-year sentence imposed on him in relation to gun and drug related convictions.

Unbeknownst to prison bosses, Mangan had, since August, been using contraband phones – commonly referred to burners – to inflict terror on the Dublin family.

Mangan, of Whitestown Green, Blanchardstown, was among dozens of criminals arrested in relation to the double murder of gang-boss Marlo Hyland and plumber Anthony Campbell in 2006, but gardai did not charge him despite suspecting him.

Today's Headlines

More Irish Crime

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices