| 2.4°C Dublin

feud fears Two arrested and handgun seized as suspected hit team busted in West Dublin

The incident is not believed to be related to the Kinahan and Hutch feud.

Close

The handgun seized in Tallaght

The handgun seized in Tallaght

The handgun seized in Tallaght

A suspected murder team were intercepted in Tallaght in Dublin last night in an incident which officers fear could have sparked a major new gangland feud.

Two men were arrested and a loaded handgun was seized after the Garda’s Drug and Organised Crime Bureau assisted by the Emergency Response Unit moved in on suspects.

A vehicle with fake number plates was also seized.

The men who are aged 51 and 22, have been detained under section 30 of the Offences Against the State Act 1939 and are in custody in Dublin Garda stations.

A spokesperson for An Garda Siochana said follow-up searches are ongoing.

The incident is not related to the Kinahan and Hutch feud but is suspected to be the result of a falling out between other criminal groupings in West Dublin.

The interception, which came after an operation was launched in the area, is a result of the on going intelligence led operations against criminal gangs in the city with organised crime deemed the biggest terrorist threat to the state.

Close

Handgun seized

Handgun seized

Handgun seized

Assistant Commissioner John O’Driscoll who has charge of the Garda Síochána’s response to Organised and Serious Crime said:

"The Garda Síochána believes, through the actions of the Garda National Drugs & Organised Crime Bureau, supported by other specialist units, we have again intervened in a threat to life situation that was likely to result in the death of at least one person.

"The members of the Garda Síochána involved are to be commended for bringing this operation to a successful conclusion by seizing a loaded firearm and arresting suspects."

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

Earlier this month convicted drug dealer Gary Carey, 40, from Ballyfermot miraculously survived a shooting when up to 10 shots were fired at him.

Close

Gary Carey

Gary Carey

Gary Carey

Carey known as ‘The Canary’ was hit twice in the attack and is currently being treated in hospital for his injuries.

Gardai are probing if he was targeted by criminals from Ballyfermot but they are also examining other lines of inquiry.

Carey survived a previous attempt on his life last March when a gunman opened fire on him in Ballyfermot.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Top Videos





Privacy