| 15.4°C Dublin

shock allegations Survivor says he was held against his will for two days and raped by late Cllr Anthony Flynn

'He just raped me that night again, with the young guy as well who was there,' the young man told RTE.

Close

The man referred to as "John" claims he was raped at Flynn's home

The man referred to as "John" claims he was raped at Flynn's home

The man referred to as "John" claims he was raped at Flynn's home

A man who claims he was sexually assaulted by homeless campaigner Anthony Flynn has told how he was raped and held against his will for two nights.

The man is one in four men who have made serious allegations about the 34-year-old Dublin councillor who was found dead in tragic circumstances at his home in East Wall

The man, who is referred to only as “John” in an RTE Prime Time interview, claims he was sexually molested after being drugged and was assaulted alongside another young man on the second night.

Close

Councillor Anthony Flynn. Pic: Gareth Chaney/Collins

Councillor Anthony Flynn. Pic: Gareth Chaney/Collins

Councillor Anthony Flynn. Pic: Gareth Chaney/Collins

“I was in a bad way when I met Anthony,” John recalled. “I was in a bad state after losing my job, I was on antidepressants.

"I was vulnerable. I wasn't myself the time when I contacted him.

"I thought he was a saviour, I thought he was a person who was going to help me out.”

The man said that after contacting Flynn on Facebook to explain his situation, and asking could he come to the office, he was told that a taxi would take him from his home to Flynn’s house.

“He sent me a taxi that night and I went straight to his house,” the man recounted.

“He offered me a drink and then I just don't know what happened after the drink.

“I woke up in the middle of the night as well and he came over and, yeah, he did what he did when I was there, still, when I was alert. It just happened all night, that first night, he sexually molested me."

Close

Anthony Flynn (Brian Lawless/PA)

Anthony Flynn (Brian Lawless/PA)

Anthony Flynn (Brian Lawless/PA)

John says he was held against his will at Flynn’s home over two nights. He says he felt the effect of a drug and was out of it.

"On the second night he alleges he and another man were assaulted.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

“He just raped me that night again, with the young guy as well who was there.

"We were locked there again, me and that young guy. He hit me, I remember he did hit me, and in the end I just became submissive and did whatever he wanted me to do.”

John says he returned to Anthony's home on two further occasions, once when he was sexually assaulted again and another when the Dublin cllr took his phone from him.

Asked by RTE Prime Time what made him return, John says it was a combination of desperation and fear, yet the effects of the assaults were profound.

“Since then I ended up in a bad situation myself, my mental health. I just had a mental breakdown. I remember I stayed in my house for nearly three months and I never came out.

"I just stayed in the dark, switched off the lights, pulled down the blinds and it's something I'm still struggling with.”

John says that Anthony told him he knew numerous guards and he felt that if he reported what had happened he would not be believed.

Weeks after Flynn’s death, John reported his allegations to gardai, however, he said he still lives in fear.

“It's a fear of people knowing it's me, that was the biggest fear until now,” he said.

“Even when I went to do the statement that time with the guards, it took me a lot of courage to go there. I remember when I walked out of Store Street Garda station I looked around to see if anyone had seen me going in there.”

On two occasions John said he tried to take his own life.

“I just crashed, I swear to God, it's just the fear. I don't know what is going to happen.”

Close

The late Anthony Flynn. Picture by Gareth Chaney

The late Anthony Flynn. Picture by Gareth Chaney

The late Anthony Flynn. Picture by Gareth Chaney

Now he says he is speaking out to help others and himself.

“My motive is in hoping to help other victims out there and get the courage. It's also about creating awareness about what happened.

“The biggest thing for myself is getting the support from it all as well because my mental health is not that great,” he added. “It crashes on a daily basis, that's the main thing.”

John revealed that the negative comments about survivors like him adds to his fear.

“There is no understanding because they knew Anthony in a different way.

"I don't blame them because that's not what they knew. Anthony portrayed himself as a saviour or fighter for the deprived in this society. I saw the dark side.”

An internal report for ICHH, released last week, detailed four serious allegations made against Flynn as well his persistent denials of any knowledge of the investigations into sexual assault allegations in the lead up to his suspension from the charity.

The report details how one of the allegations came from an "extremely vulnerable" 21-year-old man who said he took a taxi, paid for on the charity's account, to Mr Flynn's home before he was drugged and sexually assaulted last May.

The alleged victim woke up the following day and later went to a Sexual Assault Treatment Unit, at which point gardai were called and took a statement from him.

Two weeks later, another complainant came forward making an allegation of being sexually assaulted in similar circumstances to the first man.

The Dublin Region Homeless Executive (DRHE) also said last week that it is “strongly of the view that the organisation/charity ‘Inner City Helping Homeless’ should be dissolved/wound up in an orderly way and as quickly as possible”.

The executive issued a statement saying they are "particularly distressed" that some of our most vulnerable citizens "may have been subjected to serious sexual abuse while seeking support and assistance for their homeless situation."

“Our main concern is for those affected by the reports circulating in recent weeks, and we are advising anybody who has been a victim of such a crime to report it directly to the Gardaí,” the statement reads.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy