| 9.4°C Dublin

Deported Sick sex attacker kicked out of Ireland after serving ten years for raping woman in toilet

Vile rapist Przemyslaw Jakubowski was already on the sex offenders’ list in his native Poland

Close

Przemyslaw Jakubowski.

Przemyslaw Jakubowski.

Przemyslaw Jakubowski.

A dangerous sex attacker has been kicked out of Ireland after serving ten years behind bars for dragging a woman into a public toilet and raping her.

Sicko Przemyslaw Jakubowski, who masturbated in court when his victim gave evidence against him at his 2011 trial, was deported to his native Poland a week before his sentence ended.

He had been locked up in Arbour Hill after getting a 15-year-sentence for ambushing the woman in Kanturk, Co. Cork and subjecting her to an horrific 40-minute ordeal.

Last week officers from the Garda National Immigration Bureau took the 46-year-old into custody at the prison and put him on a flight to Poland.

News of the deportation will no doubt be a relief to people in the town where the assault in broad daylight caused real fear for three weeks until he was tracked down.

Councillor Gerard Murphy described the attack as horrendous which left a deep impact in people in the area.

"There was total shock in Kanturk, there was shock in the entire region."

He added that it raised the issue of why gardaí were not aware that a dangerous sex offender had arrived in the country.

"There's question marks over the co-operation between police forces because he had been convicted of rape in Poland before he came here."

"If he was a sex offender in Poland the Polish police should have tracked where he was and notified the gardaí he had arrived in this country."

Ireland only joined the Schengen Information network in March this year which has already seen dozens of EU nationals arrested on warrants from their native countries.

The community, including members of the local Polish community, were praised by gardaí at the time for their help in bringing Jakubowski to justice.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

He had a previous conviction for attempted rape in Poland and had only been in Ireland a few months when he carried out the rape attack in March 2010.

Jakubowski wore women's underwear during the attack in which he threatened to kill the woman and had denied the rape despite overwhelming evidence.

The woman described how the random attack had turned her life upside down in a letter which was handed into the court at his sentence hearing.

"I was raped not once, not twice - but so many times and in so many ways," she wrote. "These images haunt my nights, my days, my fears and my realities."

"I was in fear of losing my life that day. I always had myself down to be a tough strong person, but I was no match for him that day."

She described the 'great difficultly' in sitting in the witness box during the trial while her attacker was seated only a few feet away from her.

She said she lost her independence and her sense of security after the attack and still suffers flashbacks and sleepless nights.

She also wrote of the "agonising wait" for test results afterwards to check if she had contracted any diseases.

The woman, who was aged 30 when attacked by Jakubowski, has since tragically passed away from natural causes, according to local sources.

The woman did not know that when she was giving evidence during the trial in May 2011 Jakubowski began to masturbate in the dock.

Only Jakubowski's Polish translator was aware of what was going on and later reported it to prison guards. The judge and jury weren't told about the disturbing incident, which wasn't the only time he exhibited bizarre behaviour during the 12- day trial.

In the absence of the jury the judge was told boiling water had been thrown over him while he was in custody in Mountjoy Prison.

The hearing was adjourned for a day over fears his visible burn injuries could prejudice the jury.

Sources within the Prison Service at the time believe he threw the water over himself in an attempt to get the trial abandoned or delayed.

Details of the crime emerged at the trial in the Central Criminal Court where Jakubowski denied 12 counts of rape, false imprisonment and threats to kill.

He had grabbed the woman from behind as she was drying her hands after running errands in Kanturk, pulling her into a cubicle and threatening to kill her.

Over 40 minutes Jakubowski carried out the sex attack during which he checked his phone when it rang but did not answer.

The victim's DNA was later found under his fingernails and on clothing he was wearing at the time.

The trial judge at the time Mr Justice Patrick McCarthy said that Jakubowski "gratified himself in an abnormal manner" during the assault by wearing women's clothes. He said this was aggravating factor.

The judge noted the victim has been "rendered into a changed state" and has suffered deep stress and scarring.

"One can only hope that the victimisation she suffered resulting from this trial is coming to an end," Mr Justice McCarthy added.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Top Videos





Privacy