on the loose | 

Sex offender STILL wandering the streets of Ireland despite order to leave country

Chico Makamda preyed on women on their way home after a night out in Dublin city on two separate occasions

Chico Makamda in Dublin last week

Eamon Dillon

A serial sex offender who had been given 14 days to leave the country after being released from prison has been spotted wandering around Dublin city centre.

Chico Makamda had been told at his trial for a sex attack on a woman that he faced extra time if he didn’t leave the country after serving his sentence.

A trial judge suspended the final two and a half years of his seven-year sentence on condition he leave Ireland by 27 January.

However, a local person photographed Makamda on St James Street last weekend carrying a shopping bag as he walked passed two female passers-by.

The distinctive looking Makamda, who has a record of random attacks on women in Dublin city centre has not been spotted in the area since.

Chico Makamda exposed himself to two teenage girls in Kerry

The man who took the photo said he recognised him from a Sunday World story on his release from prison.

“If it wasn't for your article, I would have been none the wiser as to what threat to my wife and daughters was on my doorstep.”

When he emerged from the Midlands Prison in Portlaoise on 13 January he urinated beside the prison gates in full public view.

Chico Makamda preyed on women on their way home after a night out in Dublin city on two separate occasions.

In April 2018 he attacked a woman on her way home from a night out after blocking her in behind bins which ended when another man arrived on the scene.

The victim, a woman in her early 50s, was on her way home after a night out when she stopped to relieve herself behind some bins.

Makamda approached her and blocked her in beside the bins.

He punched her three times in the stomach, causing her to fall and hit her head on the concrete.

He tried to pull her jeans down and attempted to lie on top of her while the woman tried to stop him, according to evidence heard in court.

Makamda then began masturbating as the woman managed to stand up and pull her jeans fully up.

He ran off when another man arrived on the scene and threatened to call Gardaí.

The woman then realised that her wallet and phone were missing from her handbag.

At his trial, Judge Melanie Greally said that in the victim impact report the woman explained she had been "completely traumatised" and now fears to go outside.

The judge added each of the offences were aggravated by the impact they had on the victim and by the level of violence.

His defence lawyer told the court Makamda had no connection with any family members and had been homeless for some time.

He asked the judge to take into consideration the fact that Makamda had a low range of cognitive ability, according to a psychiatric report.

Chico Makamda was told to leave Ireland within 14 days

In 2013, he launched an attack on a woman making her way home in Dublin city after a night out.

She had left her friends to get a taxi home but realised she no longer had the €20 she had put aside for the fare and began walking.

The woman told of how Makamda had started following her, so she stopped to let him pass by as she pretended to look for something in her handbag.

Then, as she walked along Blessington Street in Dublin's north inner-city at 2am, she saw him standing on the footpath and tried to avoid him by walking into the road.

He then grabbed her by the wrist and shouted at her 'You drank too much, bitch', before trying to drag her down a laneway.

The woman managed to escape by punching and kicking him, and a man who heard her screaming came to her aid.

Gardai arrested Makamda nearby as he waited at a bus stop.

Makamda waits for public transport

The woman said in her statement it took her nearly a year to be able to go out alone during the day and that she still suffers anxiety and panic attacks, isn't able to go out alone at night time and doesn't feel safe any more.

Makamda was sentenced in 2015 to three years in prison with one year suspended.

Sentencing was delayed as Makamda denied that he was convicted in Tralee District Court of indecently exposing himself to two teenage girls in Kerry.

The officer who took the statement from the teenagers and the superintendent who was in court on the day of the indecent exposure trial both told the court Makamda was the man who committed that crime, for which he was fined €50.

Today's Headlines

More Irish Crime

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

WatchMore Videos