| 10.6°C Dublin

Bail refused Ross Hutch charged with threatening to kill ex girlfriend and assaulting her new partner

He allegedly subjected another former partner to an 11-minute attack in which he threw her down a flight of stairs, stamped on her head and tried to throw her off a fire escape.


Ross Hutch.  Photo:  Collins

Ross Hutch. Photo: Collins

Ross Hutch. Photo: Collins

Ross Hutch inflicted a “gruesome” wound on his ex-girlfriend’s new partner when he slashed the man's face with a blade outside a pub, it is alleged.

The injured man told a court he ran for his life with his face “pumping blood” as the accused chased him with the knife.

Mr Hutch (29) also allegedly threatened to kill his “terrified” ex girlfriend the next day, and subjected another former partner to an 11-minute attack in which he threw her down a flight of stairs, stamped on her head and tried to throw her off a fire escape.

Judge John King refused to grant him bail at Dublin District Court.

He was remanded in custody to next week.

The accused, of Portland Place in Dublin’s north inner city is charged with two counts of assault causing harm and one threat to kill in consecutive incidents last weekend.

Objecting to bail, Detective Garda Emmett Brannigan told Judge King the first alleged victim was approaching Noctor’s pub on Sheriff Street on August 22 when he saw Mr Hutch outside.

The man, who is current partner of Mr Hutch’s ex, briefly spoke to the accused as he went into the pub, the garda said. Mr Hutch allegedly “took a blade out of his pocket” and slashed him on the face.

The man ran and was followed by the accused who chased after him with the blade, it was alleged.

Other people at the scene stopped Mr Hutch from further attacking the man, who escaped and was taken to hospital by ambulance, the garda said.

He suffered a four to five inch laceration to the left side of his face, under his eye and down to his lip.

He had been to hospital, was awaiting treatment from an eye specialist and would require further plastic surgery, Det Gda Brannigan said.

The next day, August 23, it was alleged, Mr Hutch rang his ex, the current partner of the first victim.

She recognised his voice straight away. She called him a “dirty poxy animal,” that he had “sliced the face off” her partner and the gardai would get him.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

He allegedly said: “Will they, yeah? Don’t you worry… you won’t even see me coming.”

When she asked him if this was a threat, he allegedly replied: “It’s not a threat, it’s a promise,” Det Gda Brannigan said.

Also on the 23rd, Mr Hutch allegedly assaulted another ex-partner at a hostel on Gardiner Street. He pushed her down a flight of stairs, dragged her by the hair and stamped on her head, the garda alleged.

He then pushed her down steps, leaving her in a “state of undress” and spat at her.

On CCTV footage, he “appears to be searching for the injured party” before finding her behind the reception area.

According to the prosecution, he dragged her down the fire escape to the rear and attempted to push her off it - a drop of “a floor or two”, while she was prone and “half unconscious”, before continuing to punch and kick her.

“A lot of the strikes were to the head,” Det Gda Brannigan said.

He left her there before returning and kicking her body repeatedly, the garda said. He was again seen opening the fire escape door and kicking her in the head as she lay motionless.

“He returned a final time and aggressively slapped her across the face,” Gda Brannigan said.

The woman was treated in hospital for suspected broken ribs and head injuries.

Det Gda Brannigan said if granted bail, the accused could potentially interfere with witnesses and the garda feared he could attack them “up to and including killing them.”

More serious charges could be brought, he said.

The first alleged victim, with a large dressing on his wounded face, gave evidence. He said he spoke to Mr Hutch outside the pub, and within seconds “he slashed me across the face.” The man fell and ran, holding his face while people screamed “run, he’s coming for you.”

He alleged the accused chased him for up to 300 yards before jumping into a car and dropping the blade. The injury caused nerve damage and needed 40 to 50 stitches.

He said he feared for his safety if the accused was granted bail and was asked what he was afraid of.

“That he would finish the job off, kill me, take my life,” the man said. “If I hadn’t run away I think he would have taken my life. He just couldn’t catch me. It felt like I was running forever.”

Mr Hutch’s former long term partner and father of her two children told the court she was “petrified” after the alleged attack and threat.

She said she arrived to see “blood all over the street” and her current partner holding his face. He was “destroyed” and there was “blood everywhere,” she said.

After Mr Hutch made the alleged threat the next day, she was afraid “that he was going to do the same to me.”

“I’m absolutely petrified, I wouldn’t put anything past him at this stage,” she said.

She said she was “shaking” to be in the same room as him and would have to leave the country if he was released.

She told defence solicitor David Bassett “devastating isn’t the word” for seeing her partner with “gruesome injuries” and she wanted justice but not “retribution.”

The third alleged victim was not in court but Det Gda Brannigan said there was “very good” CCTV footage of her alleged assault.

Applying for bail, Mr Bassett said the accused had handed himself in to the gardai and these were not the actions of someone evading justice. Mr Hutch was presumed innocent and would abide by any bail conditions, he said.

Judge King said they were serious charges and refused bail, remanding the accused in custody to September 8, for the directions of the DPP.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices