| 11.6°C Dublin

aftermath Popular Dublin café POG most recent victim in string of City centre break-ins

The café was forced to close their doors to deal with the aftermath

Close


Popular Dublin café POG have become the most recent victims in a string of City centre break-ins.

Taking to social media on Friday, the café based on Bachelors Walk, shared pictures of the damage left behind after they were the target of anti-social behaviour.

“Our lovely staff arrived into this,” they said, sharing an image of smashed glass and presses pulled apart.

Close

“And this,” they added, showing another glimpse of the aftermath.

Close

While the café closed their doors today to clean up and deal with the break-in, they plan to reopen on Saturday morning.

POG is not the only café that was broken into in recent weeks.

Last week, Gerard’s Deli on Leeson Street had their third break-in since early December.

Owner Ciaran Nolan shared videos of two men breaking into the premises using a large brick to break in the front door window.

“It is just so sh*t after the pandemic to have these spots smashed up like this,” he told Sunday World.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

"It puts out of business for a few days and I have to send staff home.”

“We are a 90 percent card business, so we carry very little cash at any stage in a working week. We have signs up to say that too. But these scumbags are thick and keep coming back thinking it’s going to change,” he explained.

“The first time they broke in they grabbed a laptop which we use for deliveries. But nothing else.

"It is just senseless damage, which forces us to close our doors. It costs thousands to fix and sometimes you have to wait to get the glass.

“One of the burglaries saw a scumbag coming in through the sky light in the kitchen.

"He got nothing because there was no cash on site. But he smashed a window in the kitchen meaning that the food-prep area was completely ruined and contaminated.

“In one of the earlier robberies the lads were caught, but were freed two hours later.”

Kakilang on Bachelor’s Walk are another business that was attacked in recent weeks.

A video of the break in, shared to social media by the business owners, showed two men breaking in through the front door at approximately 7.30am on December 30th.

“Although many of you would know us by now that the entire Kakilang team are very joyful, passionate and energetic at work no matter what we are facing we smile our way through and offer the best for all our customers,” they began a post.

“This time we simply can not accept this anymore, it’s very frustrating for us all.”

“We have already took the beating by the pandemic and now this? We are devastated,” they said.

“As business owners ourselves, now have to put up with unnecessary costs to fix the damages for the second time this year and the entire team has to suffer the consequences of not being able to work and any customers who planned on visiting will be disappointed, because business could not resume running until things are fixed and that is safe for our customer to visit.

“The reason we decided to share this incident in details is to express our thoughts and really hope we could raise awareness of our safety on Bachelors Walk, so that no other business have to go through what we have to.

“So it happened today, at 7:30am as you can see in the video two men forced their way in by kicking the door until the locks break, immediately went behind the counter, broke the cash till and made a huge mess.”

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Top Videos





Available now on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or Google Podcasts.

Privacy