Partner of Sligo man opens up after ‘fantastic’ fiancé allegedly murdered by her dad
Luke Simon (57) – the father of Damien Conlon’s devoted girlfriend Linda – has been charged with his murder.
The partner of a Sligoman who was allegedly shot dead by her own father has spoken of her heartache at his death.
Damien Conlon (38), who grew up in the Fort Hill area of Sligo, was fatally shot near his home in New South Wales last month.
Luke Simon (57) – the father of Damien’s devoted girlfriend Linda – was arrested at the scene and has been charged with murder.
Linda has now revealed she is planning to fly back to Ireland for Damien's funeral and has thanked his family for their support.
Damien and Linda were engaged and had been planning to marry later this year.
The couple shared two children together, Mason (2) and 11-month-old Elias, and Damien had also taken on stepfather role to Linda's sons from her previous relationship, Brodie and Joseph.
Linda told the Daily Mail in Australia that Damien was a brilliant father.
“He always enjoyed showing the children woodwork, he was avid lover of motorbikes, it was just... these are the things we just miss,” she said.
"It really is so tough.
"But his family have been fantastic support for us, absolutely fantastic,' she said.
Damien grew up in the Fort Hill area of Sligo and came from a close-knit and highly regarded family who live in Strandhill.
He had worked in construction since he moved to Australia 12 years ago and became an Australian citizen in 2021.
Linda said she is now hoping to raise enough money to bring Damien's ashes home to Co. Sligo in time for Paddy’s Day.
On 4 March, Linda posted a message on the page to thank people for their support.
She wrote: "From the bottom of my heart I want to thank all that have donated so far.
“The next step on the journey to our new normal is to take myself, Damien and our boys back to Ireland to allow the family and friends in Ireland to put Damien to rest and gain closure. Any and all help to get us to Ireland is deeply appreciated.”
Luke Simon (57) was charged with Mr Conlon’s murder at his home in the village of Oberton.
He appeared in court in the nearby town of Bathurst last week and was remanded in custody for seven weeks.
The court heard there were health concerns about the accused’s condition, but he was refused bail and is due back in court on April 5.
Last month, Damien’s brother John told The Sligo Champion the devastated family are trying to come to terms with the loss of their beloved son and brother.
“It was a terrible shock to all our family, and it really didn’t hit me until about two days after.
“And the fact that he was so far away makes it even harder to deal with.
“He was a real character and was great at winding people in a good-natured way.
“From a very young age, he was very interested in carpentry, and he started out when he was sixteen and he was also into cars as well.
“Like myself he was very much into cars especially old sports cars.
“He left to go to Australia in 2011 and that was a big wrench for the family as we are all very close.
“But he was determined to go to Australia as that was his dream."
To donate to GoFundMe Page please click here.
Muddy laundering | Marcus Sweeney’s company to hand over field to Criminal Assets Bureau
Dee-sgraceful | Man who squirted water into eye of protestor Dee Wall avoids jail
stout of order | Popular Dublin pub hits back at ‘Guinness influencer’ over online campaign
Cloud Nine | Dee Devlin calls Conor McGregor 'best daddy on planet' as he jets kids to Disney World
CONTROVERSIAL VOTE | Eviction ban to end as Government defeat Sinn Féin motion by 83 to 68
DRUGS BUST | Herbal cannabis worth over €132,000 seized and man arrested in Sligo
Kings of the Hills | Barry Keoghan enjoys shirtless Hollywood hike with son Brando after Oscars snub
COMPO REDUCED | Aer Lingus pilot who had finger crushed in bridge door awarded €30.6k in damages
Knuckle rap | Rapper Tekashi 6ix9ine beaten in savage gym toilet attack in Miami
'SINCERE REGRET' | Family of Tipperary mum who died of breast cancer receive apology after misread screenings