| 2.8°C Dublin

serious injuries Man stabbed by unknown attacker brings High Court action over exclusion from compo scheme

Mr Bowes is still recovering from the impact of the attack in 2018

Close

 (Andrew Matthews/PA)

(Andrew Matthews/PA)

(Andrew Matthews/PA)

A man who was stabbed by an unknown attacker has brought a High Court challenge over his exclusion from a state scheme that compensates victims of violent crime.

The action has been taken by Philip Bowes who was seriously injured when he was attacked and stabbed in the flats complex where he lives in Dublin on December 27th 2018 last.

His attacker, a male who remains unknown to him, stabbed him several times with a knife. Mr Bowes was taken to hospital, where he remained for approximately two weeks.

He is still recovering from the mental and physical impact of the attack on him.

In June 2021 Mr Bowes applied for compensation under the 'Scheme of Compensation for Personal Injuries Criminally Inflicted.'

However, his application was refused by the Criminal Injuries Compensation Tribunal, the body which administers the scheme, because it was made outside the allowed time limit.

In High Court judicial review proceedings Mr Bowes claims that decision, made last July, is unlawful and is in breach of fair procedures and fair and natural justice.

Represented by Michael Conlon SC instructed by solicitor Brian Burns, Mr Bowes from the Oliver Bond Flats, in Dublin 8 claims that in April 2021 the Tribunal "unilaterally changed" the terms of the scheme.

The scheme had been operated in a manner that allowed victims make an application within a period of three months from the date of their injury, counsel said.

That time period could be extended if the Tribunal believed that any application outside of the three-month period was exceptional.

There was no upper limit on the tribunal's discretion to extend time in any individual case, counsel added.

However last April the terms of the scheme were changed with the introduction of an absolute limit of two years from the time of the injury for the making of an application.

Mr Bowes made an application to be included in the scheme in June 2021, counsel said. Prior to that he had not been aware of the existance of the possibility to make an application for compensation under the scheme.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

Counsel said that the what the Tribunal had done effectively amounts to a retrospective unlawful interference with Mr Bowes right to be compensated for his injuries.

In his action against the Criminal Injuries Compensation Tribunal, the Minister for Justice, Ireland and the Attorney General, Mr Bowes seeks an order from the High Court quashing the refusal to consider his application to be included in the scheme.

He also seeks a declaration that the Tribunal unlawfully fettered its discretion when it made changes to the scheme in April 2021, including implementing an absolute two-year time period.

He seeks further declarations including that the way the Tribunal has administered the scheme since April 2021 breaches the legal principals of effectiveness, and equivalence and that the scheme is non-retroactive in relation to his application for inclusion.

Permission to bring the challenge was granted by Mr Justice Anthony Barr. The judge made the matter returnable to a date next month.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Top Videos





Privacy