Gardai responded to the gun attack at around 7.30pm last night in the Ballyfermot Crescent area of the city
Sources said that up to nine shots were discharged from a handgun with several being fired through the windscreen of a car parked outside a home.
The man was struck several times and has suffered serious injuries in the attack. He was said to have been conscious when emergency services arrived at the
However the victim is said to have lost a large amount of blood after being shot in the shoulder and hip in the gun attack and there are fears for his life due to internal bleeding.
A burnt out car was found on nearby Ballyfermot Drive and the scene around it was cordoned off last night.
The gun victim, who is in his late 30s, is known to gardai and was previously in a bitter dispute with slain criminal Mark ‘Guinea Pig’ Desmond who was shot dead in December, 2016.
He was also previously arrested by gardaí probing a murder attempt on gangland target Michael Frazer in 2014. He was never charged in connection with the incident.
Last night's target was also previously arrested in a significant anti-gangland operation in 2017 when detectives from the Garda National Drugs and Organised Crime Bureau (DOCB) seized a sub machine gun, €60,000 of drugs and €50,000 in cash.
Gardaí were last night examining a number of motives for the gun attack and are following a number of lines of inquiry.
"This individual is well-known to gardaí and has been predominately linked to organised crime in Ballyfermot and surrounding areas which is being looked at.
"However, the possibility that this shooting was carried out for a matter outside of this area cannot be ruled out," a source said.
A very close associate of last night's gun victim was also the victim of a horrific murder several years ago.
Several garda units were at the scene and an investigation into the gun attack is underway.
Detectives in Ballyfermot are appealing for anyone with information to contact them.
“Gardaí are investigating a suspected shooting incident that occurred at approximately 7:30pm on Wednesday, 17th November, 2021, at Ballyfermot Crescent, Ballyfermot, Dublin 20,” a garda spokesman said.
“A male sustained a number of apparent gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital with serious injuries. No other injuries to persons was reported.
“The scene is currently preserved for technical examination.
“No arrests have been made at this time. Investigations are ongoing.
“Gardaí are appealing to any witnesses to this incident to come forward. Any road users who were travelling in the Ballyfermot Crescent area between 7pm and 7:30pm who may have camera footage (including dash-cam) are asked to make this footage available to Gardaí.
“Anyone with information is asked to contact Gardaí in Ballyfermot on 01 666 7200, the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111, or any Garda Station,” he explained.