| 12.4°C Dublin

'Terrible ordeal' Man due in court in connection with horrific 'slaughterhouse' burglary during which couple were 'bashed'

They suffered huge blood loss and the place was like a slaughter house and this thug and his accomplice left the scene with very little."

Close

Burglars (stock)

Burglars (stock)

Burglars (stock)

A man in his 20s is expected in court this morning to be charged in connection with one of the most horrific aggravated burglaries that happened in Dublin last year.

The suspect who is from the Crumlin area of the city was arrested after a manhunt that went on for over five months after the shocking crime that occurred at around 11.30pm on Saturday, 21 November last, in Merton Park, Dublin 8.

While another suspect has already been arrested in the case, gardai from Kevin Street Station had spent months hunting for the other suspect before he finally presented to officers this week after a number of searches targeting him.

“The couple who were targeted in this incident suffered a terrible ordeal – they were bashed around with metal objects and suffered serious injuries,” a senior source previously revealed.

“They suffered huge blood loss and the place was like a slaughterhouse and this thug and his accomplice left the scene with very little.

“The whole ordeal lasted only a couple of minutes but it was an absolutely horrific crime – one of the worst aggravated burglaries to happen all year. They didn’t give the victims any chance before attacking them,” the source added.

The aggravated burglary happened shortly before midnight on the Saturday while the couple were at their home in Merton Park, known locally as “The Tenters."

It is understood that the raiders entered the house through a window and gardai believe the crime was “opportunistic rather than targeted.”

The couple who are aged in their 60s were discharged from St James’s Hospital after being treated for their injuries and they are said to be traumatised.

Gardai made a detailed appeal for information at the time.

“Gardaí in Kevin Street are appealing for witnesses in relation to an incident of aggravated burglary that occurred in Merton Park, Dublin 8, at approximately 11:30pm, 21st November 2020,” a spokesman said.

“Two armed males entered the house in Merton Park and assaulted the occupants before leaving the scene in a white van. A man and woman were taken to St James’s Hospital to be treated for non-life threatening injuries.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

“Witnesses who may have been in the vicinity of Merton Park, Dublin 8 between 23.15hrs and 23.45 hrs on 21st November 2020 are now being sought.

“Investigating Gardaí would also like to speak to any persons who may have dashcam footage and who were in the area around Merton Park commonly referred to as the "Tenters” and may have seen a small white Ford Transit Connect van, partial registration 06D, with a roof rack in the Dublin 8 area, between 22.30hrs and midnight on 21st of November 2020,” he added.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy