| 9.7°C Dublin

sentence adjourned Man convicted of sick hammer attack on two women could not be sentenced as he has Covid-19

Close

John Nevin could not appear in court due to Covid-19

John Nevin could not appear in court due to Covid-19

John Nevin could not appear in court due to Covid-19

A MAN convicted of a hammer attack on two women could not be sentenced this week because he has Covid-19. 

John Nevin had pleaded guilty last week where he admitted the assault on Julie Quinn-McDonagh and her daughter Tracey on busy shopping street.

The Prison Service were unable to produce him in court because he is in isolation due to his Covid-19 symptoms, it was heard.

It was not possible to organise a video-link in time and Judge Johnson adjourned sentencing until next month.

While Nevin was on the stand last week he was asked about his persistent cough which he said was due to throat polyps.

In reply to Judge Keenan Johnson he said that he had already had Covid-19 and had recovered from it.

Nevin had been remanded in custody last week after a hearing in which Julie Quinn McDonagh said the assault is forcing her family to leave their home town.

The sudden and violent attack happened in Mullingar in February last year as the two women had a heated discussion outside a tanning studio with Nevin’s wife Mary.

The attack was captured by CCTV in which Nevin is visible violently swinging his arm into the women a number of times.

The mother and daughter were both injured during a shocking incident in which John Nevin landed blows with a hammer.

The women told the court how they thought Nevin was going to kill them.

The footage was shown at Mullingar Circuit Court where Judge Johnson described the attack as “a serious assault” and the use of a hammer was “a sinister and aggravating factor.”

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

Nevin apologised from the stand had brought €2,000 to court by way of compensation.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Top Videos





Privacy