'Sexual motivation' Man arrested after serious assault on girl (16) by 'two males' in Fermoy, Cork
The victim is 16 years old and was apparently attacked by two older males as she was walking a short distance from the town centre.
Gardaí are investigating a serious assault on a teenage girl in Co Cork.
The shocking attack occurred in the north Cork town of Fermoy at 1.20pm on Monday.
The victim is 16-years-old and was apparently attacked by two older males as she was walking a short distance from the town centre.
One source said the attack is being treated as potentially having a sexual motivation.
Two youths heard the girl’s screams for help and came upon the attack when they went to investigate.
Both teens helped the girl but were immediately attacked by the older males who had targeted the girl.
After a brief scuffle with the two teens, the attackers then fled on foot.
One of the teens who had gone to help the girl suffered a cut. It is thought this may have been done with a bottle.
The boy was taken to a Cork hospital to have the wound treated and stitched.
Gardaí are now examining CCTV camera footage from around Fermoy town centre in a bid to identify the attackers who assaulted the girl and trace their movements.
Fermoy gardaí later arrested a man in his 30s in connection with the incident.
“Gardaí are investigating an alleged assault that occurred at approximately 1.20pm this afternoon, in Fermoy, Co Cork,” a garda spokesperson said.
“A man in his 30s has been arrested in relation to this incident and he is currently being detained under the provisions of Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act 1984 at Fermoy garda station.
“Investigations are ongoing.”
The girl, who is understood to be from the locality, was said to be deeply shocked and traumatised by her ordeal.
Gardaí have appealed for anyone who spotted suspicious activity in Fermoy town to contact them.
- Finglas man jailed for eight years after tying up retired solider during violent burglary
- Dublin woman provided false alibi for partner who lured gangster Wayne Whelan to his death
- Man pleads guilty to mugging pensioner who had just won €23k in Dublin casino
- Garda chief says violent Dublin Airport incident was 'fuelled by drink'
- Irish among 43 arrested as Spanish cops blow open major drug trafficking operation
- Deirdre Reynolds Opinion Deirdre Reynolds: Victoria Beckham's 'curve' ball is a fat lot of good
- Kim Kardashian ‘heartbroken, disgusted and furious’ following Texas shooting
- Westmeath woman awarded €16,400 after falling from defective chair in Supermacs
- Salvador Ramos: Texas gunman warned of school shooting on social media
- Dungannon road crash victim named as Co Antrim man Paul McLarnon (61)