bust up | 

Limerick hurler arrested after alleged pub attack may get 'adult caution', source claims

The Tipperary player is believed to have suffered a black eye as a result of the alleged incident

Stock image

Patrick O'Connell

A LIMERICK hurler arrested after a late-night altercation in a pub may have his case dealt with by way of an adult caution - sources have told the Sunday World.

The hurler was arrested in Nancy Blake's pub following a row with a Tipperary player at 12.30am last Monday morning.

Sources say the Tipperary player injured in the altercation has yet to make a formal statement.

He suffered a black eye as a result of an alleged head-butt.

Sources say security were alerted to the incident and the Limerick hurler was restrained by staff.

He was described as being in an "intoxicated and aggressive" state.

Gardai were called and arrested the player, who was taken to Henry Street Garda Station.

He was questioned and later released without charge. A file is being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

A source told the Sunday World the investigation is leaning towards an alleged breach of public order.

"The alleged injured party has not made a complaint and has told officers he is reflecting on the matter," he said.

"Should a statement fail to materialise, a breach of public order - concerning an individual with no previous convictions - may be dealt with by way of an adult caution.

"Alternatively, the matter may go to the District Court.

"It's early days in terms of the investigation, so either route is possible.

"Obviously, if the alleged injured party was to make a statement, that would be a very different matter."

If convicted in the District Court of the offence of engaging in threatening, abusive or insulting behaviour, the player would be subject to a fine of up to €1,000 or up to three months in prison, or both.

A picture said to have been taken of the Tipperary player's face in the aftermath of the alleged altercation shows he suffered a black eye.

Should he give a statement leading to a successful prosecution for assault, the ramifications for the Limerick hurler would be far more significant.

A conviction for assault causing harm in the District Court carries with it a fine of up to €2,500 and 12 months in prison.

The alleged assault occurred hours after Limerick's Munster Senior Hurling Championship victory over Tipperary at the TUS Gaelic Grounds.

Tipperary had unexpectedly led for most of the game, but the reigning All-Ireland champions put in an impressive final 10 minutes to swing the tie.

While socialising later that evening there was an exchange of words between the two players, and tempers flared before the alleged assault.

Limerick GAA has since released a statement, not identifying the player, but confirming it had taken disciplinary action against him arising from the incident.

"The matter has been dealt with by management internally and no further comment will be made on the matter at this time," it said in a statement.

Today's Headlines

More Irish Crime

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

WatchMore Videos