| -0.1°C Dublin

cop quiz Kinahan thug Trevor Byrne was held over feud murder of monk's brother


Admission: Trevor Byrne (40) had been previously arrested over the murder of Edward ‘Neddie’ Hutch

Admission: Trevor Byrne (40) had been previously arrested over the murder of Edward ‘Neddie’ Hutch

Admission: Trevor Byrne (40) had been previously arrested over the murder of Edward ‘Neddie’ Hutch

A MAN who has admitted having a loaded firearm was previously arrested over the murder of Gerry 'The Monk' Hutch's brother, it can be revealed.

Trevor Byrne (40) had been on trial at the non-jury Special Criminal Court after being arrested during an armed garda operation last year.

He was later charged with possession of a loaded firearm, ammunition and more than €3,000 in cash at a house in Woodford Grove, Clondalkin, on November 15 last year.

Byrne, of Cappagh Road, Finglas, had denied the charges, but his barrister yesterday asked the court for his client to be re-arraigned and the accused pleaded guilty to all charges.

We can reveal that Kinahan associate Byrne was previously arrested by detectives investigating the feud murder of Edward 'Neddie' Hutch.

The 58-year-old, who was the older brother of The Monk, was shot dead outside his home in Poplar Row, Ballybough, on February 8, 2016.

His murder was carried out three days after the Regency Hotel shooting, in which Kinahan associate David Byrne was killed, and was seen as direct retaliation.

Byrne was arrested in May 2016 by gardaí investigating Mr Hutch's murder.

He was questioned over the course of several days at Mountjoy garda station before being released without charge. He later left the country.

Gardaí believe he was living in the UK before his return last year.

Garda intelligence has linked Byrne to associates of the Kinahan cartel based in Dublin for several years.

He is also described as a close associate of Finglas criminal Mr Flashy.

Byrne was arrested in November last year during an armed garda operation as part of an investigation into organised crime.

He was found in a back garden cabin of the Clondalkin property, where a loaded handgun had been stashed. Just over €3,000 was found in his pocket.

Byrne had denied the charges against him and was two weeks into his trial at the three-judge Special Criminal Court when his barrister, Conor Devally, asked yesterday for his client to be re-arraigned.

Byrne then pleaded guilty to possession of a loaded 9mm Luger-calibre Radom 35 firearm at Woodford Grove, Clondalkin, on November 15, 2019.

Three other charges of possession of ammunition and €3,050 in cash that he was reckless towards, believed to be or knew to be the proceeds of crime will be taken into consideration at sentencing next Wednesday.

His trial had heard how the Emergency Response Unit (ERU) raided the house at around 11.30pm and found Byrne in a cabin out the back where he was sitting on a couch with another male.

A detective garda from the ERU told John Byrne, prosecuting, that he pointed his weapon at Byrne.

The officer said he shouted "Armed gardaí, armed police" before ordering Byrne to the ground as other gardaí dealt with the second male.

"There was no response at all," the officer said, adding that Byrne "just sat looking at me".

The witness said that after two more warnings and no reaction, he holstered his weapon, pulled Byrne from the couch and put him on the ground.

When Byrne was taken to Clondalkin garda station, he refused to engage with the jailer and exercised his right to silence when interviewed.

A search of the cabin later revealed a gun underneath the couch. There were five bullets in the magazine and one in the chamber.

More ammunition was found, and Det Sgt Tom Anderson said he searched Byrne before placing him in a garda car and found €3,050 in his pocket.

The State was also expected to bring evidence that a DNA profile on the gun matched Byrne's DNA, and a pair of gloves, a holdall and a balaclava found in the cabin also had DNA matching Byrne's.

Mr Justice Tony Hunt, presiding alongside Judge Sarah Berkeley and Judge Michael Walsh, adjourned the sentencing hearing.

The court expects to pass sentence before Christmas.

Byrne's trial was delayed last month following a suspected outbreak of Covid-19 in Mountjoy prison where he is being held on remand.

A prison officer told the court the "entire division of Mountjoy Prison, where Byrne resides, is on lockdown" on the morning his trial had been due to begin.

Byrne is housed on the C-wing along with several other associates of the Kinahan cartel.

He has a number of previous convictions dating back two decades, including for possess- ion of firearms.

In 2005, Byrne was jailed for eight years over an armed raid during which he held 10 gardaí at gunpoint and hijacked a patrol car during an off-licence robbery.

Gardaí told that trial Byrne was carrying a loaded sawn-off shotgun when he entered a Santry off-licence in 2004.

As he and two accomplices tried to flee, gardaí arrived and used patrol cars to blocked their getaway car. Byrne pointed the shotgun at gardaí and climbed into an unmarked patrol car to try to escape.

Gardaí blocked the road and Byrne fled to a nearby taxi rank, where he held the gun to a driver's head.

Gardaí grabbed the keys from the ignition and apprehended him.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices

Online Editors