| 17.9°C Dublin

bad blood Kinahan thug Trevor Byrne blamed for botched hit on pint-sized gangster John Gilligan


Trevor Byrne has been quizzed for several feud attacks

Trevor Byrne has been quizzed for several feud attacks

Trevor Byrne has been quizzed for several feud attacks

The Kinahan cartel thug convicted of armed robbery this week was previously blamed for orchestrating a botched hit on pint-sized criminal John Gilligan.

Trevor Byrne (41), from Cappagh Road, Finglas, Dublin, was found guilty of five charges last week related to a botched armed robbery at BoyleSports in Applewood Village in Swords, Co. Dublin, before hijacking a woman's vehicle on March 19, 2010.

The verdict comes just months after Byrne, who has 41 previous convictions, was sentenced to nine years after being caught with a handgun.

Byrne, who has been quizzed by gardaí in relation to Kinahan-Hutch feud attacks, has a long history of involvement in organised crime.

The Sunday World can reveal that John Gilligan blamed Byrne for hit attempts on him in 2013 and 2014.

Byrne and Gilligan had hated each other since serving time in Portlaoise Prison when Byrne gave Gilligan a beating.

Gilligan was the victim of two assassination attempts in 2013 and 2014.

In the first one in December 2013 a masked gunman walked into the Halfway House Pub and shouted "Where's Gilligan?" His target was actually in the nearby Hole in the Wall pub.


John Gilligan

John Gilligan

John Gilligan

Gardaí later issued Byrne a Garda Information Message (GIM) warning him of a credible threat to his life in the wake of the attack on Gilligan.

Gilligan believed Byrne was behind the attack but Byrne never faced any charges in relation to the incident.

A gunman targeted Gilligan again in March 2014, opening fire on him in his brother's house in Clondalkin.

Once again, the gunman failed to kill Gilligan but he was badly injured and was later seen looking gaunt in a wheelchair while getting on a ferry to the UK where he fled in fear of his life.

He came back to Ireland after the Regency Hotel attacks, having been assured by the Kinahan cartel he was no longer in danger. He then travelled to Spain, where he was arrested recently in relation to a drugs and firearms investigation.

Gardaí suspect Byrne was actively involved in the Kinahan-Hutch feud and quizzed him over gangland gun attacks, including the murder of Eddie "Ned" Hutch (58), who was shot dead in 2016 just days after the Regency Hotel shootings.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

Byrne was arrested in May 2016 by gardaí investigating Mr Hutch's murder. He was questioned over for several days at Mountjoy Garda Station before being released without charge. He later left the country and was believed to be hiding in the UK.

He then returned to Ireland and was arrested in a shed house in Woodford Grove, Clondalkin, on November 15, 2019, where gardaí found a 9mm firearm.

This week the Special Criminal Court found Byrne guilty of robbery, possession of a firearm, false imprisonment, threatening to kill and of unlawfully seizing a vehicle used in a getaway which were all part of the same botched robbery on the bookmakers in 2010.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices