| 15.9°C Dublin

Cold case Ian Bailey asks Commissioner to reinvestigate Sophie Toscan du Plantier murder case

The former journalist was the chief suspect in the investigation into the Frenchwoman’s death in Schull, Co. Cork in 1996 but maintains that he is innocent

Close

Ian Bailey. Photo: Brian Lawless/PA

Ian Bailey. Photo: Brian Lawless/PA

Ian Bailey. Photo: Brian Lawless/PA

Ian Bailey has written to Garda Commissioner Drew Harris requesting to reopen the investigation into the murder of Sophie Toscan du Plantier.

The former journalist was the chief suspect in the investigation into the Frenchwoman’s death in Schull, Co. Cork in 1996 but maintains that he is innocent.

Speaking to Neil Prendeville on Cork’s RedFM, Bailey revealed that he had written a letter to Garda Commissioner Drew Harris asking gardaí to reopen and reinvestigate the case.

Close

Sophie’s cottage in west Cork

Sophie’s cottage in west Cork

Sophie’s cottage in west Cork

 

His plea comes following the emergence of new evidence: male DNA found on Ms du Plantier’s body that didn’t belong to Bailey.

He explained: “I wrote a letter last week, I would have expected it to arrive by now. I haven’t had a response. 

“And in that letter, I’m asking him as a clean pair of hands to reinvestigate what I would say was a conspiracy to divert the course of justice by putting me falsely in the frame for a crime I had nothing to do with.

“All I’m doing as an innocent person who has been very badly maligned and framed for a crime I had nothing to do with is asking him to look at the case again. And I’m hoping that he will.

Bailey alleged that a number of gardaí have spoken to him informally and admitted that they believe that he is innocent, adding that failure to prove his innocence has been extremely damaging to him.

“Apart from the damage this has done to me, this is a terribly dark stain on the name of An Garda Síochána,” Bailey said.

“As the result of a false narrative that was created, to put me in a frame for a crime I had nothing to do with, it completely ruined my life. It robbed me of my career as a journalist.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

“I’ve written to [Harris] and I’ve asked him but it’s up to him to make a decision whether he does. In the meantime, my life goes on and I’m having to look for somewhere to live. It’s tough, it’s not easy at all.”

Close

Sophie Toscan Du Plantier (Picture: Provision)

Sophie Toscan Du Plantier (Picture: Provision)

Sophie Toscan Du Plantier (Picture: Provision)

 

The Englishman is currently fearful of becoming homeless and is searching for emergency accommodation following his split from long-term partner Jules Thomas.

He told listeners that the housing crisis has caused him to struggle to find a place to live in Cork and is doing “daily checks” on available accommodation.

Bailey explained: “The situation I’m in at the moment is I’m looking for suitable alternative accommodation and it’s very, very difficult to find anything at all here in west Cork. It was even before the Covid relocation thing began.

“My hope is that I can find suitable alternative accommodation in west Cork,” he added.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy