| 13.4°C Dublin

Tragic teen Gardai say 'no motive' for Meath murder as photo of gun victim (19) released

Conor O’Brien was not known to the gardai in any format whatsoever that we are aware of at this time,” he said.

Close

Conor O'Brien

Conor O'Brien

Conor O'Brien

Gardai have confirmed today that a 19-year-old man gunned down in Enfield was not known to officers in any capacity and they currently have no motive for his murder.

Conor O’Brien (19) was discovered dead after sustaining a single gun-shot wound at the rear of a relative’s house, where he had been residing for the past four months, at 7am on Friday.

Issuing a public appeal for information, Supt Liam Geraghty of the Garda Press Office today described the teenager who is originally from Gorey as a quiet man who kept very much to himself.

“Conor O’Brien was not known to the gardai in any format whatsoever that we are aware of at this time,” he said.

“Conor is a young man, 19-years-of-age.

“He was a quiet man who kept very much to himself and our understanding was he was due to start a new career very very shortly in the next week or so.

“We have no motive for this killing at this time.

“We are following any information that we receive at this time. We are following a number of lines of enquiry.

“We are conducting house to house inquiries.

“We are carrying out CCTV enquiries to establish last known movements but at the moment our appeal is very much to members of the public, if you have any information that can help us, please contact the investigation team here at Trim Garda station.”

Supt Geraghty continued: “Gardai are making the following appeal for information.

Close

The scene on Trim Road, Enfield, Co Meath, where the body of a man was discovered yesterday. Photo: Paul Nicholls/MediaPix

The scene on Trim Road, Enfield, Co Meath, where the body of a man was discovered yesterday. Photo: Paul Nicholls/MediaPix

The scene on Trim Road, Enfield, Co Meath, where the body of a man was discovered yesterday. Photo: Paul Nicholls/MediaPix

“Any person that was on the Trim Road in Enfield, the R159 at or close to its junction with Main St, Enfield between 8 pm on Thursday August 26th and 7 am on Friday the 27th of August, whether you believe you saw anything or not, please make contact with the investigating gardai.

“Gardai are also appealing to anyone who was driving or cycling in that area … who may either have vehicle dash cam footage or other video footage to again contact investigating gardai here at Trim Garda station.

Sunday World Newsletter

Sign up for the latest news and updates

This field is required This field is required

“Finally, any person who may have any information in relation to the fatal shooting of Conor O’Brien to contact investigating gardai.

“The investigation team can be contacted here at Trim Garda station at 0469481540, the Garda Confidential Line 1800 666 11 or any Garda station.”

Neighbours in the quiet residential area, on the outskirts of Enfield have spoken of their shock and devastation for the young man’s family.

One neighbour also told the Sunday World how he and his wife had heard a loud bang at 8.30 pm on Thursday evening but had assumed it was a noise from the train station or down on the nearby canal.

“We did hear a bang, it was like a shot, at about 8.30 pm on Thursday evening,” he said.

Download the Sunday World app

Now download the free app for all the latest Sunday World News, Crime, Irish Showbiz and Sport. Available on Apple and Android devices


Privacy